Skip to main content
Topic: Pan Bolt Leakage (Read 1034 times) previous topic - next topic

Pan Bolt Leakage

I hate leaks.  Had tranny oil changed 500 mile ago and noticed some leaks on pan.  Took back and indicated bolts had loosed a bit. Two days later noticing some drops again.

Anyone have GREAT solution (other than thread locker, welding the pan on, or some other real gunky solution :>) to stop leakage?

Pan Bolt Leakage

Reply #1
What has most likely happened is that over time, the bolts have been overtightened trying to stop the cork gasket from leaking, this deforms the pan where the bolts go through, making the surface uneven.  It can usually be fixed by laying the pan on a perfectly flat surface, and tapping the bolt holes flat again.
Matt :tg:

Pan Bolt Leakage

Reply #2
Lift the engine,drop the pan,install a new rubber gasket,no more leaks.Do it right the first time.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Pan Bolt Leakage

Reply #3
Hes talking about the transmission, vinnie.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Pan Bolt Leakage

Reply #4
Oh,I totally misread that.Alright then,my new answer is as follows....

Drain the fluid,clean the gasket surfaces,install a new rubber gasket,fill the tranny with new fluid and call it a day.

There,My day is complete.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Pan Bolt Leakage

Reply #5
Also ARP bolts for stock oil pan are like $17-20 i think a set and for some reason my old oil pan bolts worked for my spoiler on my car so keep them if you want to.

Sorry i thought you where talking about the oil pan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily: