Skip to main content
Topic: Pulled the car cover off my car today and found this... (Read 2120 times) previous topic - next topic

Pulled the car cover off my car today and found this...

Clearcoat peeling off the roof in giant pieces.

I had originally had the car sitting with a car cover over it, and a tarp over that. However, water got through the tarp and sat on top of the car, and apparently caused that (I bought a decent car cover a couple weeks ago and put it on the car by itself, but the water still just sat on the roof, hood and trunk lid). I saw it coming anyway...the clearcoat on the roof started to peel last summer, as well as the paint & clearcoat blistering in several places like this-

Guess it's time to start looking at paint!

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #1
Man, that sucks
I've never seen anything pull off in a sheet like that
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
Paint and clearcoat are overrated anyway.Strip it all down to bare metal,and let the true color of the car out.You'll love the earthy tones.......or,you could always have the car painted if that's more your style.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
that sucks
the paint on my buddies plymouth sundance peeled like that.
depressing, yes but we had fun balling it up and throwing it at each other:D
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #4
hate to see that,clear coat looks good but once its starts to peal you might as well start thinking about redoing it.

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;207360
Paint and clearcoat are overrated anyway.Strip it all down to bare metal,and let the true color of the car out.You'll love the earthy tones.......or,you could always have the car painted if that's more your style.LOL.

or he could bring it down to bare metal and clear coat that :flame:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #6
we had one of the body shops around here have some paint that did that. they didn't let the paint flash long enough in between coats. it peeled up just like that. sorry to see that happen to you. oh well time to get to work on the body work.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #7
Good ol' Medium Clearcoat Metallic. Mine was doing the same thing, (to a much lesser degree), before I painted it.

Reply #8
Pretty standard for that to happen.  Especially if it was lifting a bit already.  The water starts to get between the paint and clear and will creep along, lifting the clear along the way.

Sometimes covers do more harm than good.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #9
Well, it started peeling because of the paint blistering...it was doin that all over the roof, and that started 2-3 years ago. Had two spots that really started to peel last spring/summer (and it sat inside almost all winter last year), so I knew it was just a matter of time.

I'd rather it all come off the roof than just a couple spots. *shrug*

This car was, according to the guy I bought it from, painted twice already. IMO whoever did the paint didn't prep it very well, so now the paint is peeling and looks like .

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #10
Quote from: ~AC;207399
or he could bring it down to bare metal and clear coat that :flame:
I saw in one of my car magazines that they did the rally stripes like that.Actually looked really awesome.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..