Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 5.0L HO Questions (Read 1795 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Ok, I am not that  knowledgeable when it comes to cars, but I am trying to learn. My grandfather recently gave me his 1987 Thunderbird 5.0L, it currently has 40,600 miles on it. It recently had to have a new fuel pump, and AC, I guess from sitting in the garage for so long; and I am about to have its transmission rebuilt(or might just get a new one, it is AOD). Anyways I would like to convert the engine to HO and really do not have a clue where to start. I have been reading the articles about Stock to HO Conversions and Mass Air Conversion, and was wondering the differences and if I should do both. If so what type of computer should I use, and what type of parts do I need to obtain (I know, I have seen about 1,000 posts on this). Mainly, I just want to do the HO and Mass Air Conversion.

Thanks!

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #1
if you read the SO to HO swap info then the parts and computer you need are already listed....  Not sure what else you are looking for...

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #2
1987 Thunderbird 5.0L, it currently has [COLOR="Red"]40,600[/COLOR] miles on it

Please tell me you have a garage to keep it in or at the VERY least a car cover!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #3
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;207116
if you read the SO to HO swap info then the parts and computer you need are already listed....  Not sure what else you are looking for...

Bascily i was wanting to know what each seperate conversion provides HP wise, and if I do both at the same time is there anything special I shoul do? One thing I am a bit confused about is the computer for the HO and the computer for the mass air, if I am doing both conversions do I just use the mass air computer for the AOD?  ( sorry if this seems jumbled, i am typing this from my phone at work).

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #4
Quote from: V8Demon;207120
Please tell me you have a garage to keep it in or at the VERY least a car cover!

Yeah I keep it in the garage, that is where it has been for the past several years, and most likely why the fuel pump, AC, and transmission died. Paint job only has a few minor scratches, the most being on the black molding. The interior is pretty much brand new, only one person has sat in the back seats haha. BTW the paint is the maroon/red and same with the interior.

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #5
A stock speed densety HO runs quicker than a mass air one...

Unless you are planning other mods, don't worry about the MA...

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #6
Im with turbocoupe50, unless you plan to cam or supercharge it, you really dont need the mass air!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #7
It really depends on what your future plans are for the car.

If you want something a little peppy, and don't intend on doing much more, the HO swap with speed density would be great. You just need a computer from an 87-88 5.0 Mustang, and then the associated parts to convert it to HO, and you can consider it pretty much done. You're able to do all the smaller bolt ons with no issues, but anything significant will be difficult with speed density.

The mass air conversion is best if you plan on doing things such as heads, cam, forced induction, etc. This is essentially providing you with more potential. To do the mass air conversion, you need an adapter harness, which isn't very difficult or expensive, the 89-93 Mustang 5.0 computer, a mass air flow meter, a proper intake tube, and the rest of the HO conversion.
It's Gumby's fault.

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #8
Quote from: Tbird232ci;207142
It really depends on what your future plans are for the car.

If you want something a little peppy, and don't intend on doing much more, the HO swap with speed density would be great. You just need a computer from an 87-88 5.0 Mustang, and then the associated parts to convert it to HO, and you can consider it pretty much done. You're able to do all the smaller bolt ons with no issues, but anything significant will be difficult with speed density.

The mass air conversion is best if you plan on doing things such as heads, cam, forced induction, etc. This is essentially providing you with more potential. To do the mass air conversion, you need an adapter harness, which isn't very difficult or expensive, the 89-93 Mustang 5.0 computer, a mass air flow meter, a proper intake tube, and the rest of the HO conversion.

I do plan on doing additional modifications at a later date, so I guess I should do both the HO and mass air conversion, if so do I need the A9L ( I think that is it) computer?

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #9
Quote from: Chris F.;207155
I do plan on doing additional modifications at a later date, so I guess I should do both the HO and mass air conversion, if so do I need the A9L ( I think that is it) computer?

yep, do both then, and use the A9L

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #10
HAH since no one has yet PLEASE post some pics of that thing in the User Rides forum! It must be just gorgeous.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #11
Quote from: ZondaC12;207161
HAH since no one has yet PLEASE post some pics of that thing in the User Rides forum! It must be just gorgeous.

Will do, hopefully my camera on my phone will be ok (3mega pixel). Like I said there are a few scratches here and there, mainly on the black molding, and the tint is starting to peel. Biggest thing that makes me upset the most is that the previous owner was an older lady who smoked, so in the passenger seat on the edge near the shifter, there is a pencil eraser sized hole where she burnt it. Other than that, the interior looks brand new.

Actually I should get it washed because it is real dusty, it has been sitting in the garage since Christmas because we haven't gotten the transmission fixed, but that is changing this week.

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #12
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;207157
yep, do both then, and use the A9L

Actually my transmission is an AOD, so would I use the A9P instead of the A9L?

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #13
Quote from: Chris F.;207212
Actually my transmission is an AOD, so would I use the A9P instead of the A9L?

Makes no difference, but my car has better manners(no bucking)on a  A9L...

1988 5.0L HO Questions

Reply #14
Also another question, jumping a bit ahead of myself.

How much HP will be in the bird after the HO and Mass Air conversion? 225hp or more? And after conversion, if I wanted to hit 300hp, what would be the easiest thing to do?