Skip to main content
Topic: 08 Exploder (Read 1477 times) previous topic - next topic

08 Exploder

anyone have personal experience with the 08 Exploder?  I got one being delivered soon and its gonna be my daily driver.  Anything i need to watch out for ect?

08 Exploder

Reply #1
I work at a ford dealership, from what i have seen they're a very good vehicle.
:birdsmily:

2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

08 Exploder

Reply #2
You hit the Lottery???

08 Exploder

Reply #3
'Bout the only thing I can think of to watch out for is $4/gallon gas :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

08 Exploder

Reply #4
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;207048
'Bout the only thing I can think of to watch out for is $4/gallon gas :hick:

+1    and only 1
1987 TC

08 Exploder

Reply #5
Gas prices might kill you other than that should be a nice SUV overall.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

08 Exploder

Reply #6
My dad has an '06 Eddie Bauer and I absolutely love it.  I know it's not an '08, but I don't think you'll be dissapointed.  I think the only thing that went wrong was something with the tire pressure sensors.  Had to take it to Ford to get it fixed.

08 Exploder

Reply #7
Score!  sounds like it'll be a great DD for you, havent heard anything bad...
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

08 Exploder

Reply #8
I have a 2002 XLT. At 70k miles the timing chain needed replacement, and at 110k miles, I had to have both rear wheel bearings and one front hub replaced.
I consider these items normal wear with that kind of mileage and other than that it has just been oil changes, tires, & brake pads. It's a nice daily driver that we find very enjoyable. It currently has 122k miles on it and it's still very tight and if it wasn't for the 6th digit in the odometer, I would think it had 22k miles instead.
I initially wanted to buy an Expedition, but I'm not dissapointed one bit that I went with the Explorer especially with the price of gas the way it is now.
One other thing I really like about it, it's nearly the exact same color as my Cougar. :D

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

08 Exploder

Reply #9
Youre gonna wish you just got an AWD car or something...
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

08 Exploder

Reply #10
Quote from: bhazard;207187
Youre gonna wish you just got an AWD car or something...

it really isnt my choice.

08 Exploder

Reply #11
Quote from: jcassity;207196
it really isnt my choice.
I know exactly what you mean.:(
1987 TC

08 Exploder

Reply #12
I got my Exploder yesterday and it did its first road trip today.  RIdes just about like any other heavy car out there with low clearance. 

Its a white 4 door , total was about 32k

There is one helava delay in throttle response unlike what i expected from the 4.6.

08 Exploder

Reply #13
Sweet!  Are you going to post a pic or 2?  Here is my Limited.
\m/__\m/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

08 Exploder

Reply #14
Quote from: BCA;207096
I had to have both rear wheel bearings and one front hub replaced.
I consider these items normal wear with that kind of mileage :cougarsmily:

WTF how is that "normal wear"? My mom's 02 eddie bauer had both rear wheel bearings replaced, one last year and the next one last year. Little under 90k miles. She was madder than hell, so was I. I don't believe my Cougar has ever had bearings replaced anywhere, I think the same with the '38 buick!!!! I would expect a bearing to NEVER burn out. Maybe that's just my own un-educated opinion but I think that's incredibly stupid. What did they not pack it with grease at the factory? Bad seals and it got full of dirt and stuff? Lame.

That and she had to drop another $500 yesterday because the pass. rear coil spring BROKE resulting in it coiling itself around the bottom retainer plate and hitting the control arm, making the car look like a half-assed lowrider. :hick:

The shop we went to had it back to us in 4 hours as opposed to the next day because the parts supplier they called said "YUP we got Explorer coil springs in stock yep plenty of THOSE!!!" :mad:

Again maybe I'm just unknowledgeable and in that case someone set me straight but this vehicle has NEVER been actually used like the truck that it is, never been even near it's payload cap (we have a tiny utility trailer and that's about it). And still this  has happened. What about people that DO do this? The things must fall right apart.

It seriously makes me question my loyalty to Ford. The coug is "built ford tough", her old 93 limited explorer was, and the 89 taurus wagon. Not this one though.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane