Skip to main content
Topic: I think I'm gonna cry (Read 8266 times) previous topic - next topic

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #45
looks good!!
just noticed it says 70 bettle, id like to see some pics of that beast!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #46
These are pretty low rez, but it'll give ya some idea. It ain't purty, but it's got one hell of an attitude.

:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #47
thats freaking awesome!!!! I love the old baja buggys!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #48
Believe it or not, those headers used to be ceramic coated.  Last time I do that on that VW.  They burned up and rusted just as fast as uncoated ones.  Probably has a lot to do with them glowing cherry red then getting very wet from tire spray.

I had to run the K&N filters oiled because the carbs were sucking in too much water from road spray as well.  I've seen a pretty neat rig made from a Gen 8 F-150 air box mounted above the rear window, and ducts run down to the carbs.  That'll keep her dry.

It's down for the count right now.  One of those episodes with too much water in the carb, and I stripped a head stud in the case because of too much compression (water flashed).  So, gotta tear it down and put helicoils in the case, which SUCKS!.  Have to buy an entire rebuild gasket set because the 4 little gaskets that go between the cylinders and the block don't come separately.  I should know better than to drive it in the rain by now.  That much rubber on the ground on a car that barely weighs 1100 pounds, and water is NOT your friend.  It's a very strange feeling to be going down the interstate in a rain storm, and see your speedo drop to zero from 70.  You know to hang on tight to the steering wheel then, because 0 mph means the left front is no longer turning.  It is NOT nice when that tire finds enough traction to start turning again.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #49
Ok, got some then and nows for yas.

Throttle Body
Then:

Now:

EGR Spacer Plate
Then:

Now:

The two together:

The wing mirrors
Then:

Now:

I haven't had time to do much, but have gotten this far. Amazing what having access to a sandblaster and bead polisher will do for parts. I completely disassembled the TBI because the butterflies were rusted. I have a small micro blaster in the shop, which cleaned those up quite nicely.

I also learned something about wing mirrors. The mirrors for an '84 will plug right in and bolt right on an '86, but, they are NOT the same. They use a totally different mechanism inside the housing. The  the mirror is mounted to on the '86 mirror will snap off without removing the glass from the . This is NOT the case for the 84's. I found out the hard way by breaking one. The glass has to be removed (glued on with silicone) from the  and a screw removed to expose the mechanism. Looks like I'll be grabbin some more on my next trip. I definitely like the 86's better for maintenance/repair.

Since the housings are plastic, I sanded the rock chips out of them and sprayed them with some Krylon satin black for plastic. They look good, and supposedly this stuff is supposed to be weather resistant. I think I got the passenger side fixed with some super glue, but if not, by the time the mirror falls out, I'll have my original painted up too.

Next up, the wheels centers. I'm debating on coloring the wheels something other than silver (argent). I've got the fake deluxe wheels (blech!), but kind of trying to stay with OE as much as possible on parts, because I may register the car as a vintage car. I've gotta do something with the wheels though, and never liked the silver on them anyway. Any suggestions?

Dunno if I should start a new thread or retitle this one. Right now, I'm planning on putting all the progress photos in here, though. It's a project car now, officially, because I got Mrs Paint an '05 Chevy Venture. Sorry for the language, but needed the seat belts. Added 3 more (my grandchildren) to the fold. Thought I was gonna have to get a used school bus. The 18 yo step daughter now has a 1999 Toyota Camry. Again, sorry for the language, but if I was gonna get anything done to the 'Bird, I had to get them a way to go. Price was everything. My driveway looks like a used car lot.