Skip to main content
Topic: I think I'm gonna cry (Read 8265 times) previous topic - next topic

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #30
Old Paint, just let me know what you all you want from the throttle body (can have the whole intake if you want) and you pay shipping. I'm just about 30 miles south of Chattanooga, Tn., so shipping shouldn't be much.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #31
Quote from: Thunderhawk;223462
Old Paint, just let me know what you all you want from the throttle body (can have the whole intake if you want) and you pay shipping. I'm just about 30 miles south of Chattanooga, Tn., so shipping shouldn't be much.

Sounds like a plan.  Just shipping?  Wouldn't hurt my feelings to build everything from the EGR plate up so I can just do a swap when I'm ready.  Gonna have to order gaskets, cause all the local parts houses quit carrying the "really old stuff".

Let me know how we can do this.  Don't need the intake, and really don't wanna disturb the lower on mine.  It's taken a long time to stop that sucker from leaking.  I had a long block put in about 4 years ago, and within a year, it was dumping coolant as fast as I could pour it in.  Wound up re-doing most of the work the dealer did to put the long block in. 

Still need VC gaskets (very minor seepage).  Got the wrong ones last time I went to the parts house.  Seems cork is the only version available for the 3.8 TBI.  Didn't start doing the neoprene until the EFI and SEFI.

Good news is, got the check from the insurance company.  Now, if it doesn't bounce ......

Gonna order the new bumper cover today.  Don't wanna mess with trying to clean up UV/dry rot damage.  Gonna put in the effort, might as well have a few clean parts to work with.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #32
Did a little more sheet metal alignment today, and have the hood/fenders lining up very nicely now.  Looks like there's no frame damage at all from the fender bender.

All the headlight doors I got at Pull-A-Part were pretty badly oxidized and faded, so I got out some sandpaper and masking tape, and bought a can of satin finish black for them.  WOW, they look good.  I got the stuff made for plastic, so maybe it will stay on there a little longer.  Gonna try it on the broken mirror shell I have and see if black is what I want.  I think it'll look good, though.

Need new high beam lamps now.  The mirroring has come off the back and one gets a little condensate in it.  The black headlight doors really make the near-sighted high beams look bad.

Ordered the NEW bumper cover today too.  Stinkin shipping was a full third of the total cost.  But, this thing's gonna be a pet from now on, and I can't seem to find a decent cover in the yards.  Mrs. Paint's on board with it, which is the best part of the whole restoration project.  She wants us to have a show car of some sort.  Won't matter if it's only a V6 if the body/interior make up for the lack of ponies.

I would post some pics, but it's just plain UGLY with that sun-faded bronze colored fender that's faded to silver on top on a dark blue car.  On top of that, or below it actually, no bumper cover.  Eeeewwww!  I just don't have the heart to embarrass the poor thing that way.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #33
Headed for the Pull-A-Part again tomorrow.  They added a '85 Bird today, so should be some goodies on it.  First time I went out there for a look, they only had 3 Fox bodies on the whole lot.  Now, they've got 8 Fox Body BIRDS.  Didn't even look for Cats.  I'll look at some of the others they have too, and if I see something that looks too good to let it go to a crusher, I'll grab it.  I'll post some photos in an album on Photo Bucket when I get back, and maybe set up a PayPal account so I can sell off some stuff.  I'll sell it for what I pay plus a little for my time, and shipping.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #34
I want a full lenth console. Let me know if you see one out there with a good lid
1986 Cougar LS

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #35
I'll give it a look.  I know there were some, but dunno how good they were.  Some were rather beat up, though, and the center plate missing along with the mirror switch, etc.  I'll take the camera, and if I see something, I'll take some photos.  Hopefully they won't get butchered before I can go back after it if I find something you want.  Some folks are not very nice to the parts they don't need.  I'm just hoping the '85 they have has a 3.8 TBI with an intact throttle body.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #36
Old Paint, I'm still waiting for your call. Throttle body still on car, complete.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #37
hey if ya need anything i have a 84 cougar full of parts. so let me know. i have parts off of a 86 elan in there as well.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #38
Quote from: Thunderhawk;224214
Old Paint, I'm still waiting for your call. Throttle body still on car, complete.

Found one today, less than $27, complete with IAC, TPS, spacer plate, injectors.  Thanks for the offer, though.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #39
Quote from: cougar86_89;224199
I want a full lenth console. Let me know if you see one out there with a good lid

I found a couple, but here's some photos of the best looking one I found. Needs some work, for sure. I didn't get it, but they seem to have a few Fox bodies rolling through there now. I keep drooling every time I look under the hood and see the 5.0 sitting there begging me to take it home and give it some TLC.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #40
Someone asked me to see if I could find some inner turnies for an '87. Got 'em. Here's the pic.

They're in pretty good shape, but have a little white paint around the edges where someone rattlecanned the nose.  A little washing and polishing, they're good to go.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #41
Now for the photo of the whole load I got today. I done good on price too. Less than $150 for all this ....

Yes, that IS two EEC-IV's sitting there. One definitely came off a 3.8, but the other, I'm not quite sure (no engine in car). Both say CFI-SD2, there must be some difference. Here's the numbers:

E63F-12A650-A1A
E53F-12A650-AL1A

Someone wanna clue me in on the difference? The E63F came off the 3.8, I know for certain (I pulled it).

Like I planned, got the TB, EGR, so now I'm ready to clean 'em up and get ready to swap the top of my 3.6. The TB's got EVERYTHING on it.

Picked up the shroud because the top right corner's broken off mine. Think the dealer did that when putting the long-block in for me.

The two lamps are the high beams mine needs too. It's a bit near-sighted with the originals still there.

Gonna see what I can do about setting the cluster for the ACTUAL mileage on my old duck (about 98000). While I'm at it, gonna do the mod to get rid of that STUPID 85MPH clamp. I know the car is a lot faster than that. The lens needs a good cleaning, and I hope I can get it polished out enough to be clear again. I actually managed to get it off without breaking the PRNDL cable clamp. Didn't look like it's EVER been out, so new lamps are in order.

And finally, I hate to do it to the old girl, but here's where I am with the repairs. Still hunting a new bumper cover. All of them at PAP seem to be ripped at the bottom (probably because they handle cars with a giant forklift) Found a company in FL that still has some. Big problem there is they don't ship other than to their own stores, and don't take credit cards.

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #42
Quote from: Old_Paint;224233
...Found a company in FL that still has some. Big problem there is they don't ship other than to their own stores, and don't take credit cards.

Do they have a store in the Panhandle? If there's one in Panama City I could pick it up and ship it to you.... or I'll be headed north through ATL the Monday after Labor day if you want to wait that long. Going to be carrying a woman and her 2 weeks worth of luggage though so the Mark probably won't have enough room for car parts other than the ones that belong on it. ;)

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #43
Quote from: Old_Paint;224233

E63F-12A650-A1A
E53F-12A650-AL1A
Someone wanna clue me in on the difference? The E63F came off the 3.8, I know for certain (I pulled it).

-just looking them up at a glance, model year difference was all i saw.  both were later replaced by the same number.....oh and BTW, the yard i was talking about that has a 84-5 'bird is in Anniston....
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

I think I'm gonna cry

Reply #44
Quote from: doodaa;224362
Do they have a store in the Panhandle? If there's one in Panama City I could pick it up and ship it to you.... or I'll be headed north through ATL the Monday after Labor day if you want to wait that long. Going to be carrying a woman and her 2 weeks worth of luggage though so the Mark probably won't have enough room for car parts other than the ones that belong on it. ;)

I think I may have found a local source for an aftermarket cover. The guy that's repairing my company car (Impala that a big doe decided to try to mate with) gave me a lead on the cover. Haven't called 'em yet, but will do exactly that tomorrow. If they can order it, great, I won't have to take a long road trip. Fuel would be more expensive than shipping now anyway.

Got a TBI rebuild kit today. Gonna take the $25 TB I got at Pull-A-Part and clean it up real good tomorrow, and do the injectors overnight in Seafoam. Got a parts washer at work, and a ceramic pellet polisher, so should be able to make this thing look REAL good. Just gotta watch getting the stupid pellets in places they shouldn't be. PITA when they go in a #10 screw hole. I've got two spacers, one of which I think was a thicker spacer for the 5.0 in an E-series van. Both are solid plastic. The one that came with the kit is some sort of fiber, and isn't as thick as the thinner spacer. Anyone got a clue what happens if I put a thicker spacer under the TBI? (Other than the obvious of raising my TB about .5 inch.) Any performance gain or loss there? It's got a larger bore than the one that's on the TB that I'm cleaning up. Just wondering if it's going to cause more turbulence and increase hesitation or if it'll help with acceleration a little.

With the number of Taurus' in that yard, methinks an e-fan conversion is in the future too. Just wanna redo the TBI first and make sure I've got clean injectors to see if it helps with warm engine hesitation. JCassity insists it's the filter screens in the injectors. Guess this TB replacment will tell the tale. I'll make sure to do some before/after pics of the TB while I'm working on it. Looks pretty simple considering I've been neck deep in a Motorcraft 2150 before, as well as a Holley-Weber progressive 2bbl.

The TB I picked up at the Pull-A-Part is complete with ICM, TPS, EGR, EVP, injectors, FPR, everything. Just hope the TPS is good to go. If not, I still have the one I pulled off when I tried that as a hesitation fix. I saw the price for a reman TBI today. Ouch! $680. I just need to come up with a way to test the FPR before I put it on the car. The one on my truck is EASY. Not so easy on the TBI, though.

Finding the gasket set for the TBI body was an adventure in itself. But, a trusty little no-name shop I've used before had it in the back room. Go figger, none of the big chain stores has it, and neither does a dealer. Still need the EGR/manifold gasket, though. Those things are rare as hen's teeth.