Skip to main content
Topic: Where would you stuff a 2.3T? (Read 3076 times) previous topic - next topic

Where would you stuff a 2.3T?

Reply #15
Quote from: CougarSE;205433
I don't know what I would swap a 2.3 into but I sure know what I would swap a 2.3 OUT of :hick:

Quote from: oldraven;205399
The V8 guys can play too. We know you'd rather have a V8 in a Fox, but what out there would you swap a 2.3T into?

:flip: You forgot to answer the question.

Reply #16
The old MS Miata had the 1.8, I'm talking about the new MX-5 one. Or does it have yet another different one? I know they had to make something like it as there are a few RX8's running around with MS2.3T swaps.

Reply #17
Quote from: P71;205439
The old MS Miata had the 1.8, I'm talking about the new MX-5 one. Or does it have yet another different one? I know they had to make something like it as there are a few RX8's running around with MS2.3T swaps.

Nope. That is the 2.0L, and it doesn't have a turbo, since there is no third gen. Mazdaspeed.

But it appears xjeffs is right. The MZR is the Duratec.

Reply #18
Quote from: xjeffs;205432
Same engine block is in the Ranger.  Use that trans with the Mazda 2.3L turbo.  And the engine itself would cost $2.5k-4.5k.

not for me, I work for mazda! tee hee hee!

the 2.3t was never factory in a miata. Though to play along they are talking about the next speed miata having one!:burnout:

Reply #19
I'd like to put a built 2.3T (stroker crank, volvo head, big turbo) in a G40 kit car and a new Corvette.  For the Vette, use an ol' iron head just to really make the marque people freak.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #20
There is a bellhousing that bolts to the Duratech 2.3 that accepts a T5....

The problem with any of the Duratech stuff...it's not cheap.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #21
Are you kidding me? Why are people doing Volvo head swaps? There's your DOHC 2.3 turbo right there.

Reply #22
Quote from: oldraven;205456
Are you kidding me? Why are people doing Volvo head swaps? There's your DOHC 2.3 turbo right there.

Quote from: Chuck W;205455

The problem with any of the Duratech stuff...it's not cheap.

thats why. if/when the duratech stuff starts to get less pricey, then it would be interesting. id love to loose the extra weight...
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #23
In this:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #24
...Or this :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #25
Quote from: gumby;205457
thats why. if/when the duratech stuff starts to get less pricey, then it would be interesting. id love to loose the extra weight...

You could spend 5 figures doing a Duratech turbo swap....it's just not that cost-effective at this point.

Those old Volvos are nice choices.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #26
2.3T in a Nash Metropolitan.
1987 TC

Reply #27
How about motorcycle? Or in a VW dunebuggy?
88 TC with 93 GT 5.0 (.030 over), XE266HR Compcam, SVO 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK underdrives, BBK 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exhuast with Americian Thunder Flowmaster lers. Tremec 5 speed and 3.73's and alot of other goodies to list.....

Reply #28
I have 2 extra intercooled 2.3 TC engines.

We have a 1986 Bayliner runabout boat with a Volvo 2.3 OHC carbed engine. Don't know if the belhousing is the same or not, but it would be nice to put the 2.3turbo Fuel injection in place of the Volvo engine.

Then crank it up to 18 pounds of boost and let that boat haul a--:D
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #29
How would you cool the exhaust? Does your Volvo inboard have wet manifolds?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣