Skip to main content
Topic: Where would you stuff a 2.3T? (Read 3185 times) previous topic - next topic

Where would you stuff a 2.3T?

What do you guys think? I have a spare 2.3Turbo and T5. I know I could get $1500 for the TC and Supertruck together.

(braces for impact)

http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-under-5K-datsun-roadster-convertible-1968-W0QQAdIdZ38864541

datsun roadster convertible 1968

willing to trade for a camero,firbird, trans-am or sell outright for 1500.00$car runs good no holes but needs a paint job and there is a hole in the ler.
thanks

Yeah, it'll never happen, but it's fun to imagine.

Reply #1
DO IT!  that would simply TEAR with a t-5/2.3T in it.  Lots of suspension and break work would be needed though.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #2
Moncton?  Isn't that a little too close to Santa's home for a convertible not pulled by reindeer? 

A 2.3T in that would rock.  And drive the nostalgic ricers mad.  I say go for it.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
Do it if you know what your doing and could make it work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #4
Quote from: Carpimp1987;205372
Do it if you know what your doing and could make it work.

See, that's just it. ;) This is just a thought I had (which is why I said it will never happen) when I saw this in the trader. The biggest problem with this project would be that I'd have to sell my TC and my Truck to buy it. It would still be quite a sight.

Maybe this should be another dream thread like the '10 cars' thread. 'Where would you stuff a 2.3T?" Since this was born out of boredom, I'm going to do that.

So chime in, guys. Where would you stuff a 2.3T? The V8 guys can play too. We know you'd rather have a V8 in a Fox, but what out there would you swap a 2.3T into?

Reply #5
Dad's 1979 Spitfire sitting in the 3rd stall of our garage. He had a 1984 reynard FF and he always said "that thing would fly if we put a formula ford motor in it". He even said that over dinner once, boy did he get a LOOK from my mom!!! :giggle:.

I think the 1.5L 4 in it now makes about 55 horsepower. So yeah a 115 horse 1.6L pinto FF *might* pep it up a lil, LOL. Can't even imagine a 2.3T....
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #6
I dunno... A Pinto wagon... A mid 80's 4WD Ranger... A first-gen RX7...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #7
I found a 4WD Nissan pickup locally with a spun bearing for $700...I'd love to put a turbo 2.3L in that. But I don't have anywhere to undertake such a project.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #8
How about the other way around? I'd like to take the new Mazda 2.3 DOHC direct-injected Turbo motor and stick it into an 87-88 TC to make a "new" TC. Cobra IRS and 13" 5-lug brakes (with the ABS), figure out a modern ride control, etc. Seeing as how Ford owns Mazda I think it would actually turn out really cool.

Reply #9
Quote from: P71;205413
How about the other way around? I'd like to take the new Mazda 2.3 DOHC direct-injected Turbo motor and stick it into an 87-88 TC to make a "new" TC. Cobra IRS and 13" 5-lug brakes (with the ABS), figure out a modern ride control, etc. Seeing as how Ford owns Mazda I think it would actually turn out really cool.

That would be a tough job, since it's a FWD setup. If you wanted to make it rear engined, it might work. Otherwise it would be a really expensive FWD based AWD TC.

Reply #10
A 2.3T Pinto would be freakin awesome!

Reply #11
Quote from: oldraven;205419
That would be a tough job, since it's a FWD setup. If you wanted to make it rear engined, it might work. Otherwise it would be a really expensive FWD based AWD TC.

They made a RWD version for the Mazdaspeed Miata ;)

Reply #12
Oh. shiznit, I had no idea they were the same engine. (I always thought the MX-5 had a 2.0L)

*edit*
We're both wrong. The Mazdaspeed MX-5 had a 1.8L turbo. I knew the MS 3 a different motor since it had Direct Injection (DISI) and was sourced from the Mazdaspeed 6.

Reply #13
Quote from: oldraven;205419

Same engine block is in the Ranger.  Use that trans with the Mazda 2.3L turbo.  And the engine itself would cost $2.5k-4.5k.

Reply #14
I don't know what I would swap a 2.3 into but I sure know what I would swap a 2.3 OUT of :hick:
One 88