Skip to main content
Topic: taking out windshield (Read 1888 times) previous topic - next topic

taking out windshield

anybody ever done this before?
mine was uhhhh, ummm broken (more like completley friggin shattered  :mad: !)
and Im trying to take it out myself to keep the installer from bitching too much...
I can seem to get the trim off of the top though, I've got all the rest of it, and most of the glass lifted up around the sides and bottom.
And what would be a decent price for a windshield, installed in an '88 LX 'Bird?
-many thanks-
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Re: taking out windshield

Reply #1
I'd prolly try a slim putty knife and a heat gun. Just slowly go around the edges and pry up. I'd think that's how pros do it, not sure. As for installing and glass, i'd guess around 200 to 300 for parts and labor.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #2
I have most of the glass up, when I get it completley out, I'll have to heat the sealer up, and se it away, the windshield is totally shattered.
my main prob is that trim across the top, I can get it loose, and don't wanna tear it up either, I thought it may have been screwed on from inside, but havn't seen any screws to it yet, but then, It was cold today, didn't spend too much time outside with it...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
maybe under the roof liner?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
i used piano wire, just thread it between the body and the glass and pull it along, cuts right threw.

Reply #5
A heat gun makes it stickier and harder to remove. Cold weather is the best time to do this. 

A good price would be around 200 bucks.  Where are you finding a new windshield and gasket? Please let me know as I need to replace my windshield as well.

Depending on how Ford did it, get a razor knife and slice into the gasket, being careful not to run into the glass too much. 

Chris
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Reply #6
yeah, I got out and did it last week on a cold-ass windy day, I wasn't concerned with breakage, as the glass was already shattered.
I just took a gasket ser and tapped on the handle with a hammer, all the way around with it, I wore safety glasses, too!, LOL
Then I had a "bit" of glass to pick up with the shop-vac...
Got quoted 200 bucks for a replacement windshield, it's a local shop, not part of a chain....thanks for the tips, guys
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6