Skip to main content
Topic: super coupe aod? (Read 786 times) previous topic - next topic

super coupe aod?

Right now I have a rebuilt 302 block that I'm swapping into an 87 tbird. The transmission is messed up. I was planning on throwing in a aod out of my old 87 cougar, but I came accrossed a 89 or 90 wrecked super coupe in one of the yards I frequent. I was curious if this may be alot better to throw in in the long run...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

super coupe aod?

Reply #1
I've always heard that the SC tranny was a stout piece.The SC was a strong car,and the tranny was built for more torque.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

super coupe aod?

Reply #2
I've been beating on one for seven years... It has a Trans-Go shift kit, but otherwise has never been apart...

The shift lever will probably be different, but you can swap one in from a fox AOD...

super coupe aod?

Reply #3
SC trans's have A model servos.  They are some of the toughest ones around.  Beware the TC however, as they are set for gobs of low end torque and start to lockup around 1800 i believe.

I've got the stock AOD in my 92 SC that has 3.73s, 15% overdrive on the blower, inter cooler fan, and a few other mods.  Its got 140k on the clock and still going.  *knocks on wood*