Skip to main content
Topic: I'll get lambasted, but I have a stang Q (Read 1211 times) previous topic - next topic

I'll get lambasted, but I have a stang Q

My bro's coworker has a 1993 Mustang w/2.3 5 speed.  He wants to autocross race it, and the class requires under 2.5l.  So he asked me what kind of power mods he can do.  I'm passing it on to you guys/gals....any ideas?

I recommended the turbo swap, but he's frowning on that idea right now.  One other mod I've seen is upping the injectors to 17lbs, but I'm sure a bigger maf and fuel pump would be needed.
1987 TC

Reply #1
deffinetly turbo engine swap. shouldnt be hard to find a running setup.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #2
yanking that big round barrel thing off of the intake tube.
ranger headers.

corral.net or stangnet is probly a better source of info
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

But first, two very important questions.

Reply #3
What is his budget? What are the rules?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
hey hey what about the 2.3L forum over on stangnet? *wink wink*

Just kidding, not really a ton of activity over there.

Anyway, yeah, he needs to find out what class he's running in first and foremost, and find out what he's allowed to do (some classes allow very little)

There really isn't much you can do with those for power as far as bolt-ons go. Might be best for him to stick to basic stuff (intake, exhaust), and concentrate on weight reduction and handling.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #5
thanks.  I may have to dust off the old sign on for stangnet.
1987 TC

Reply #6
Hair dryer.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
The mustangforums 4 cyl section is pretty active
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #8
Well, to be honest, most of the people on on the 2.3 forum on stangnet are also over on Turboford, so you could try asking there.

But, they'll probably ask for the same info we asked for here...budget, class, etc.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #9
I haven’t talked of this much as I’m not sure were dealing with the same engine anymore. But years ago (before everybody was doing Turbo’s) I built up a 2300 from a 78 Pinto (we called them 2300 then, 2300cc = 2.3 liters) and the thing ran like a street bike on the same era.
Bottom end was stock except for a .04 overbore (few more cc’s)
Head was ported by me with a die grinder then shaved .020 (estimated at approx 1/2:1 compression increase)
Ran a solid lifter performance Cam and that was the ticket, had to adjust the valves once a month or so. (got to where I could do it in under 30min)
And performance triple valve springs.
Everything else was stock and down at the local dead end road we used to use as a drag strip I never found a V8 that could beat it through the 1/8. They would always get me in the ¼ by about a car length but I always figured it did pretty  good for half the size. It amazed a lot of people.

The head is the key. He has a light valve train there to work with.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #10
There's lots of stuff out there for carbed 2.3's, thanks to the circle track & dune buggy guys.

Problem is that there's next to nothing for the fuel injected engines, and you can only get so crazy before you have to go to a standalone or something similar.

Plus a pinto was a lighter car, which certainly helps.

Garrett H.
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip