Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138557 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #375
Finished paying for the engine work today.  Got my heads back too.  He cleaned and resurfaced them free of charge!

Reply #376
look B/A
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #377
Did ya get a new oil pan or are you reuseing the stock one?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #378
Reusing the stock one and cleaning it up.

Reply #379
Man I'm getting my car painted but now I want to build a motor after seeing your pictures!  Looking good man...your car is without a doubt getting better all the time.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #380
You know what that block needs? A nice, shiney coat of Ford Blue engine paint ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #381
Quote from: thunderjet302;248018
You know what that block needs? A nice, shiney coat of Ford Blue engine paint ;)

I loves me some of that Ford Blue.The dark Ford blue.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #382
I'm just gonna paint the block black.  Won't show the dirt and grime as bad, and you really don't see it much anyway.  The valve covers will be ford blue though :) .

Reply #383
Woke up early this morning so dad and I could start piecing together the short block.  We took our time, checked everything over.  Plastiguaged all of the clearances; they were dead on spec.  Prepped the pistons, rings, and bearings, and started putting them in.  About halfway through, we noticed some of the number markings on the rods weren't facing the right direction, but everything was fitting right so we kept going.  Once we got to #5 and #7, however, they wouldn't fit.  At first, we thought the rods were installed backwards; the numbers were on the "wrong" side and if we installed them backwards, they fit perfectly.  Called up the machine shop guy, and it turns out he had them numbered 1-2-3-4  5-6-7-8 instead of 1-3-5-7  2-4-6-8 (like how dad is used to building SBCs... Chevy guys :p ).  Anyways, we took all of the pistons out (except for #1...that one was at least right!) and got them in properly.  Other than that mistake on our part, everything went smooth.  Here comes the horde of pics!

Dad explaining some things to my friend and I.

Crank is in!

My friend and I getting the hang of installing the piston rings.

2 guys you do NOT wanna see working on your car :hick:

Pistons are in...with "5" and "7" being backwards.

Now they're in properly...gotta love the piston comin way up!  <3 compression

Ok, I just HAD to see how the heads and rockers were gonna look.  Couldn't help myself.  :D

Really happy with the progress so far.  However, we were doing some final cam research since I plan to order it in the next week or two.  Turns out there are multiple versions of the XE264.  One is for nitrous use, but the other is said to be designed for use with 1.7 rockers and is a great HO replacement cam.  Sounds like a perfect glove fit for my combo, check it out:

Comp XE264

^Sure seems like the perfect fit for my setup.

Anyways, that's it for now.  Just gotta do a few odds and ends, then finish saving up for the cam and fuel pump.  We plan to FINALLY fix my cruise control tomorrow though.

Reply #384
Awesome work man.  You must be as excited as a kid on christmas morning right now!  Looks sinister with the heads on it...I expect more youtube videos to be posted once this thing is up and running!!:evilgrin:
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #385
Quote from: 50tbrd88;249030
Awesome work man.  You must be as excited as a kid on christmas morning right now!

You bet!  I'm STILL grinning ear to ear.  Nice to see everything starting to pay off.

Looks sinister with the heads on it...

Oh definitely!  The heads will stand out even more once the block is painted black :) .

I expect more youtube videos to be posted once this thing is up and running!!:evilgrin:

Hehehehe....muahahahaha :evilgrin:

Reply #386
You ready to convert to mass air?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #387
looks great! i forget how tiny the 302 looks on a stand. how exciting its going to be to turn the key for the first time!
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #388
SAAAAAWWWEEEEEEEEET!!!!

Haha Mike musta been flippin out at least as much as you, better keep him away from there don't wanna wake up and walk out there to find the stand mysteriously empty :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Nice air compressor too btw!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #389
Quote from: Haystack;249133
You ready to convert to mass air?

Nope, especially since I'm back to the stock cam now.  That Comp Cam requires stronger valve springs, and I simply can't afford it.  There are much more important things I need that money for.

Thanks for all the compliments, guys!  I'm really excited.