Skip to main content
Topic: Modesty panel cutting for Automatic to Manual? (Read 1088 times) previous topic - next topic

Modesty panel cutting for Automatic to Manual?

Yes I read the article on Coolcats, but I still didn't find an answer to this question.

After installing the manual transmission pedal assembly, the black plastic modesty panel no longer fits.  There are cut outs on the panel (1988 Cougar) that appear to make the panel fit around the clutch.  Just curious if someone can verify this before I cut away on the panel.

Thanks!
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #1
Oh for the pedal to travel up and down, yeah that sounds right to me. I just took a hacksaw to it and made a grove so it fits. If you want I'll take a pic of it, but it will have to be after I get home from work

So how you do on installing the pedals, not as bad as it looks. I think I had the old one out and new one install in under an hour
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
Here's where I did mine, I just used a box cutter.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/576934/3
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #3
haha!!  I didnt even know that thing existed til the junkyard a couple weeks ago!!!  My tc was missing this piece since I bought it in 99.  Can't wait to finish my interior and put one in.  Anyway, I'm just bored at work...  You can go back to your real topic!!  :D
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #4
Quote from: 5.0 bird;202504
Here's where I did mine, I just used a box cutter.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/576934/3

Looks good!  The Tbird/Cougar one has places to cut for the clutch pedal...and it looks a lot like what you did for the Mark VII.

Thanks!!!
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #5
Guess I ain't modest, mine's in the garage... Somewhere...

Reply #6
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;202931
Guess I ain't modest, mine's in the garage... Somewhere...

Your T-bird is a slut showing off all that pedal.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #7
Quote from: SSX;202935
Your T-bird is a slut showing off all that pedal.

No doubt, but I lover her... :shakeass: