Skip to main content
Topic: Ford Performance Vehicles Launches Powerful Territory F6X (Read 1976 times) previous topic - next topic

Ford Performance Vehicles Launches Powerful Territory F6X

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124609

Australia: Ford Performance Vehicles Launches Powerful Territory F6X

MELBOURNE, Australia — Ford Performance Vehicles has launched a hot new SUV, the Territory F6X, featuring the most powerful six-cylinder engine in the Australian SUV market.

With 362 horsepower and 406 pound-feet of torque, the 4.0-liter DOHC turbocharged 24-valve inline six-cylinder engine has markedly higher output than the Territory Ghia Turbo on which the F6X is based — 33 horsepower and 51 pound-feet of torque, to be specific. Power is transmitted to the rear wheels via a ZF six-speed automatic transmission with Sequential Sports shift.

Suspension and brake packages have been upgraded, and Ford has calibrated the Dynamic Stability Control to match. Fuel consumption is 15.8 mpg.

The F6X goes on sale in Australia at the end of this month, priced at the equivalent of U.S. $68,500.

What this means to you: Down Under, they like their muscular SUVs as much as Americans do. — Mike Jarvis, Correspondent

So it's a Ford Freestyle powered by the Falcon XR6 Typhoon Barra240T 4.0L turbo. Now we have a car in our own market that accepts this powertrain. Nice.

Reply #1
By looking at it,you wouldn't think it has THAT much power.Those Aussies know their business.I've been an FPV fan for a lot of years.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
That's no Freestyle. The Freestyle (excuse me, "Taurus X") is built on the FWD/AWD Volvo S80 chassis, same as the Five Hundred (excuse me, "Taurus").

Would be nice to see that drivetrain in a car instead of an SUV...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
besides...who would want one of those dog slow modulars anyway.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
Quote from: shame302;201989

Not me! Oh, wait, dammit! :hick: I can finally see the potential though ;)

"The F6X goes on sale in Australia at the end of this month, priced at the equivalent of U.S. $68,500." <<< That's insane though.

Reply #5
Quote from: shame302;201989

Not getting the point here. Maybe you're right. We don't need any kind of variety with our performance engine options. One motor for every situation is definitely the way to go. Screw personal tastes. :rolleyes:

Shoot. Carmen's right. The Territory is based on the BA Falcon. The body lines looked so much the same as our Freestyle it's easy to see how I got them mixed up.

Does anyone else think it's beyond stupid for Ford to have two essentially identical cars built on two completely different chassis? "Dhur! Where's the money going?"

Reply #7
Quote from: EricCoolCats;201997
Nice Subaru impression. :)

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw that hood. :P Now if it had the two tone treatment from the Freestyle I posted, we would have a real identity crisis on our hands.

Reply #8
Holy hell those two do look alike! Why Ford WHY?!?!

Reply #9
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;201992
"The F6X goes on sale in Australia at the end of this month, priced at the equivalent of U.S. $68,500." <<< That's insane though.

Well that has to be in the neighborhood of $75,000 AUD...as the USD is "worth" more than the AUD.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #10
Quote from: EricCoolCats;201997
Nice Subaru impression. :)

It looks like a Subaru hit with an ugly stick.

Reply #11
I thought all Subaru's were hit with an ugly stick.

Reply #12
They are look at the new Subaru Impreza hatch.

Reply #13
I knew that was aussi without even reading the article lol.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #14
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;201985
That's no Freestyle. The Freestyle (excuse me, "Taurus X") is built on the FWD/AWD Volvo S80 chassis, same as the Five Hundred (excuse me, "Taurus").

Would be nice to see that drivetrain in a car instead of an SUV...

That would be the Falcon. ;]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_XR6_Turbo

The XR6 Turbo is based on the popular XR6 model - with minor extras and the major inclusion of a Garrett GT3540 turbocharger and front mount intercooler. The turbocharger, as well as other internal modifications bring the engine's power to 245 kW (flywheel kilowatts) (328 hp) @ 5250 rpm over the standard 190 kW offered in the XR6. The BF XR6 Turbo's maximum torque production is 480 N·m (354 ft·lbf) @ 2000 - 4250 rpm.

The XR6 Turbo is fast becoming one of the most popular family size performance vehicles in Australia and some have speculated it will be the next Aussie cult car in the same light as the Holden Commodore VL Turbo. Unfortunately due to the competitive nature of the new-car market and the new BF series, resale values of earlier BA examples have plummeted to $26,000 for 3 year old manual sedan model.

The car is available with a host of factory options; some popular ones include entertainment system, navigational system, premium audio, sunroof, leather seats and extra safety installations. A Prestige Pack was released as an option in 2004. The pack comprised of several of these options bringing the standard XR6 Turbo up to the specification of luxury models such as the Fairmont Ghia, without compromising the sporty feel.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)