Skip to main content
Topic: Most important part of the Super Bowl - Hyundai! (Read 1477 times) previous topic - next topic

Most important part of the Super Bowl - Hyundai!

The Genesis commercials were very good. I can't believe this car is actually coming! 375HP V8, RWD, 6-Speed (manu-matic auto so far, rumor of a straight 6-speed as well), all for under $30K. With all the G8 love (myself included) this is going to stand Detroit, puppiesan, and Germany on their heads! The G8 GT is only 381HP and costs more then the Hyundai, not to mention is severely lacking in the "luxury" department. The CTS is rocking a 300HP V6, but the CTS-V will be twice as much as the Hyundai at least! If they keep the weight down (read: UNDER 2 tons) this car will blow everything out of the water. I can't believe I'm applauding Hyundai, but I am. I'll reserve anything else until I drive one, but with a 10 year 100K mile warranty I might want to not bring my checkbook...

Reply #1
it's a new car, what kind of mileage does it get?, does it have hybrid technology?  how safe is it?  how many dozen air bags does it have?  These are all things I want to know about a new car.

Wait, this ain't 1969, what the...?
1987 TC

Reply #2
hybrid tech? doubt the coupe does, maybe an option for the genesis sedan.  very safe, the 06 sonata has more bags than i can count, and with cafe, it gets food mileage.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #3
I work for a Hyundai dealer (no I'm not a dirt ball salesman) and I can't wait to take one for a spin. :burnout: I've only been drooling over the concept pics for 6 months...
79 Monte Carlo Landau--350/TH350 2K stall, 7.5 posi/3.73's...built with other people's "junk"
87 Thunderbird LX--3.8/AOD: stock DD:down and out with a blown motor (sucky esshag engines)
69 Impala 4dr Hardtop--327/glide: stock, parked and left for dead
84 Thunderbird LX--new project: donating it's engine to the 87 and then getting a v8 of a different kind???

Reply #4
Sweet well does Ford own them aswell and if so can you just buy the engine and trans-mission and take some weight out of a T-Bird or Cougar and after hours or work and lots of Ca$h go take it for a spin? Sorry i hate car payments so i would rather build something out of nothing.

Post up some of the Concept pics and under $30,000 sounds like a good deal to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #5
Looks not to bad from the website.
Says it has 8 airbags,parking assist front and rear,auto park,hid's etc etc, however it only says v6 270+hp and v8 300+hp.
It does not actually state 381hp??
O and it says 5year 100000mile warranty not 10.

Reply #6
Quote from: 87BlueBird;201961
I work for a Hyundai dealer (no I'm not a dirt ball salesman)

Hey I resemble that remark! :hick:
One 88

Reply #7
Hyundai Genesis:

http://www.hyundaigenesis.com/

4.6L V8 with 375 HP (that hurts me, stupid 240HP cop car!), 333 Ft/Lbs, 0-60 in under 6 seconds, 6-Speed Shiftronic auto, 5-link rear IRS with LSD (trac-loc, posi, twin-grip, whatever), Traction Control, Electronic Stability Control, Bluetooth, turning headlamps, LED taillamps, GPS nav, safety cage (think built-in rollbar structure), and 8 airbags, all standard!

And they're still claiming it will get the standard Hyundai 10/100 Warranty and be under $30K. Oh, and they're going to make a coupe too:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/availablesoon/Genesis_Coupe.aspx

That's supposed to get 300+ HP (think turbo V6!!) and cost less then a GT Mustang. I don't know about you, but that car looks GOOD to me! I can't believe that I like 2 Hyundai's so much, but I do!

Now, the G8.

http://www.pontiac.com/g8/

I like this car, I *really* like this car. Designed and built in Australia by Holden. It's the next-generation Commodore chassis (which shortened became the Monaro, which became the GTO). $29,995 for the G8 GT (the "first step" V8 model, a higher HP "GXP" version is still coming). 361HP 6.0L LS-base V8, 385 Ft/Lbs, 6-Speed auto with DSC and "Sport" mode, it is certainly in the park of cars that excite me to see built.

I hope Ford is on the ball, I really do. They STILL don't have a RWD sedan worthy (the 'Vic has been on the same platform since 1979 and is fleet-buyers only, not to mention it's anemic 250HP 4.6L, 4-Speed auto, live axle, etc. Don't get me wrong, it's a GREAT fleet/police car, hardy and tough, but a sport sedan it is not). The Mustang is facing higher HP competition in the Challenger and Camaro, and lower price competitors in the Genesis Coupe.

Reply #8
yeah. i saw the commercial last night and thought to myself, " what is this world coming to when a POS hyundai gets a 375hp power plant." the last say 5 or so years have been amazing. would have never thought you would see this kind of power in a run of the mill car. 5-8 years ago 300 hp was something. now its a joke.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #9
Well until Ford stops treating the Mustang like something more than it really is, they will never be able to step up to the plate with anything real.  It's like that car stiffles ANY real development on anything else.

I guess the specs on the Hyundai are impressive...but it sure is an ugly lump.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #10
That is true,they treat the mustang like a god sent,that's why the fox bird's never got the HO.
If they'd get their heads out of their asses then maybe they could produce some decent cars, not the failures they have been.
I've seen some nice concepts from them in the past
(the 49,08 lightning) and they were all canned by some ford dumbass.
Now i'm a ford fan all the way but look at dodge,they don't stop producing good looking and good performing cars with gobs of power just because they have the viper.
The new challenger is going to be 500hp in hemi 6.1 form and will eat the stang for lunch.
Curious as what ford's answer will be to that, i guess the shelby???

Reply #11
Well the problem is that the Mustang is NOT the marque topper car that they think it is.  Thus every other decent idea has to come in under it...and thus they all suck when compared to the competition. 
The Mustang hamstrings the entire line.

Reply #12
The Mustang is no Corvette. ;)

Reply #13
Quote from: JeremyB;202029
The Mustang is no Corvette. ;)

That is what I said ;)

Reply #14
Quote from: Chuck W;202028
Well the problem is that the Mustang is NOT the marque topper car that they think it is.  Thus every other decent idea has to come in under it...and thus they all suck when compared to the competition. 
The Mustang hamstrings the entire line.

That'shiznitting the nail RIGHT on the head Chuck! That sums up Ford's way of thinking for the last 10 years and why they're in such a hurting.