Skip to main content
Topic: Pics of my ongoing project (Read 4125 times) previous topic - next topic

Pics of my ongoing project

Reply #15
I'm not sure what you mean by prefab. I've got a metal brake, bead roller, nibbler, r, mig and anything else for metal working
I'm using 20 and 16 ga. for the majority of the patches.
20 for the rockers. 20 for the inner rocker 20 for the floor
front end got blasted then sealed ---inside when I pull the motor
I'm currently working on the drivers side floor (blasting, patching and sealing)
I've got used rust free fenders, TC hood, quarters,drivers door

my rockers rotted from the inside out. mainly from the front fender and the quarter panels.
The metal was so thin, the paint was the only thing left. I put my finger right through the rocker when i touched it. only on the drivers side. I'll probably replace the pass. side also unless i can get a look inside it somehow.
the floors I thought were good until I stripped the inside. I thought they were still decent until I took the sound deadening  off the floor and the floor came with it. I didn't see that coming.
I wish I would have started working on her about 5 years ago, instead of storing her.

I did see rust on your car in the same places as mine. esp. the rocker/quarter panel seam.

If you need any more info let me know

Jerry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #16
Thanks for your input. You answered my prefab Q and you did not even know it. I dont have all that equipment you mentioned so I have to have a metal shop bend everything for me..Kinda sucks but I have to do what I have to do. Not sure when I will tear out the inside but it will happen. As I stated earlier not really looking to win trophies but close would be nice..

Reply #17
As long as you have a good welder it should come out looking pretty decent
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #18
Hey I'm from Illinois too (Chicago the best part ;) ). Welcome!

Looks like you're having fun with your Cougar. The rust issue is the reason I got my 88 T-bird from California. Salt is evil.........
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #19
Quote from: chas jr;201916
Here is a pic of each side of the frame rails. Thanx for inquiring.

Those pics make me extremely happy that my car is a florida car. Only a little bit of surface rust, but the grease and sludge deposits kept the metal protected na dit didn't rust out:hick:

Reply #20
Keep us posted on the project. we'll compare notes when were done.
We like a lot of pics too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #21
Will do. Car is 30 minutes away so it is difficult to get there. When weather breaks I will get more pics. Might even be able to get picks of the frame rails after sand blasting.

Reply #22
What media are you using to blast?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #23
It is from Menards home improvement center. It is black and says good for all blasters. About $6.00 per 50lbs. Nothing special It looks like it does a great job. Will know better after some time passes if rust appears again, I guess.

Reply #24
seal it after you blast, it'll never rust again
I use aluminum oxide media
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #25
I used a product called SEMS or is by that name. It is comparable to POR15. I have the K frame here at work where I used this product and it really looks good for using a paint brush. I did not get it all smooth as the metal has pits in it. Like I stated earlier, I am not so concerned with how the under side looks. More concerned with no rust and holes. Before I started tearing it apart again, I noticed exhaust getting into the interior. So I knew there were holes to contend with in the floor board. I need to just do one thing at a time or it will never get done. Plans are getting the front end back on as soon as weather good. All I need to do is weld my caps in place and build. Hopefully goes smooth. Then I will proceed towards the rear. Trying to keep from gutting interior as space to store parts is limited. I really want it to run by May 25 when there is a Thunderbird meet near meet and I would like for thoose Tbirds to see a good Cougar...LOL..Do not know if I have enough time to get it done. PRAY, PRAY, PRAY

Reply #26
Finally had some time to put into car. Sad but I did not get it running for the Tbird show :hick: Here are some pics of the frame rail caps welded in place. I suck at welding so keep that in mind. Hey there are some of the rot I have to contend with..LOL..Keep looking and there are more of the frame rail.

Reply #27
More pics:

Reply #28
More pics: Still have to do some work on the strut towers. Planning on capping them also.

Reply #29
nice work!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07