[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

What wheels look best

Reply #16
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;201651
neither....

FR500's, FTW!

Well they don't make 'em in 4-lug:hick:

You guys think 16x8 Cobra Rs would fit with out rubbing? If so what tire size should I go with?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

What wheels look best

Reply #17
Your car is unique because its so clean, and 2-tone, don't ruin that with some belly button Cobra R's. That craze has been overplayed for 6 or so years.

Since your car is so clean and everything on it looks as if it could have been on the car from the factory, I'd say go with the 93 Cobras, some re-finished snowflakes or 10-holes.
It's Gumby's fault.

What wheels look best

Reply #18
I love me some slots, but if I had to go for a second choice, I'd say '93 Cobras all the way.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

What wheels look best

Reply #19
Quote from: t3skidoo;201567
Roh's are nice looking wheels, but a little pricey when you can get ex-Cobra wheels at less than half the price.

Painting the spokes either body color or a color complementary to body color would look pretty sharp.  btw, he's south of the border, so it's "color". :D

x3 on lowering it.

not my fault you guys cant spell... :hick:

Refinished turbines would give it a nice factory look to it....

What wheels look best

Reply #20
Quote from: Tbird232ci;201665
Your car is unique because its so clean, and 2-tone, don't ruin that with some belly button Cobra R's. That craze has been overplayed for 6 or so years.

Since your car is so clean and everything on it looks as if it could have been on the car from the factory, I'd say go with the 93 Cobras, some re-finished snowflakes or 10-holes.

I know I see Cobra Rs all the time. I'm kinda wishey washey about em though. I don't think I like them enough to spend $$$ on them.

The car is clean and if the 8 holes that are on it now were bigger (ie 15x7) they would be staying. I think they make the car. The problem is that being that they are 14x5 and have a 215 section tire they don't handle the torque of the new engine at all.

I have been kicking around the Turbine idea. If I went that route I would polish the lip and the top of the fins and have the center and area between the fins painted gunmetal (dark gray) a la 88 XR7 style.

I've also though about Pony's. I think they look good on the car (in silver chrome ones are waaaayyy to much for the car). What do you guys think. If I went with the Pony's I would use this center cap: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/iwwida.pvx?;item?item_no=LRS-1130N%20%20%20%20%20%201&comp=LRS
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

What wheels look best

Reply #21
ponies look good too...

What wheels look best

Reply #22
The Ponys do look good.You may find a polished set on Ebay for a decent price or maybe on the Corral.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

What wheels look best

Reply #23
Refinished turbines.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What wheels look best

Reply #24
yeah, i like the ponies too.  I think someone makes 17" ponies if you'd want to try that (but the 16s look good).
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

What wheels look best

Reply #26
You could always go old school.....??
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

What wheels look best

Reply #27
Sorry but Im a sucker for the R's love five spoke. I have GT wheels offa 94 to put on my bird, once I get it 5 bolt.
:birdsmily: Nate Wenck
Carroll IA
nwenck@msn.com
07 Suzuki Boulevard C50T
2003 Ford F-150 Supercrew

What wheels look best

Reply #28
welds... only if the big and littles though

I think rodlites would look killer with your color combo and would give you the "slot" look also ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

What wheels look best

Reply #29
I would have to agree, it's not like I'm biased or anything :D

Here's a wheel viewer that I used when I picked out my wheels. It lets you lower, change tire profiles, wheel size, paint color, tint the windows etc.

http://www.autowaretech6.net/nextwheels/oktire.htm

edit: had to fix link
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)