Skip to main content
Topic: royal puple gear oil (Read 960 times) previous topic - next topic

royal puple gear oil

what weight royal purple gear oil-  also tranny fluid for 1986 cougar xr-7 t-5 tranny

royal puple gear oil

Reply #1
you could use 30w motor or just plain ole gear box oil.

Im not sure why people think royal purple is anything special.

royal puple gear oil

Reply #2
Heard a lot of good from 85-140 syn.  Read the bottle too.  I think the friction additive is in there already.

I was just reading a lot about this last week.  It's so funny cause everyone makes it sound so sensitive but in reality, TONS of people are running everything from Motorcraft to Royal Purple to Valvoline and it really makes no difference.
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

royal puple gear oil

Reply #3
86 should be a WC tranny and uses ATF, not gear oil.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

ignore at your own peril

Reply #4
Quote from: gumby;200259
86 should be a WC tranny and uses ATF, not gear oil.

+1

Shops will still try to sell you some heavy gear oil for a Ford T5.  Unless you like rebuilding your trans, stay with ATF.  The guy that rebuilt my T5 said that Ford used paper liners while most other mfgrs used something else ("fiber"? can't remember).
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

royal puple gear oil

Reply #5
Quote from: jcassity;200232
you could use 30w motor or just plain ole gear box oil.

Im not sure why people think royal purple is anything special.

cause it is. dyno proven more then once to be better.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

royal puple gear oil

Reply #6
you all are full of it.

You want to know the real reason why standards transitioned to ATF?

Because with gear oil , the shifting naturally gets a little harder in the winter.  To please Female purchase power, something had to be done to make the stick shift easier.

Run with your ATF, thats good to ,, I never said it wasnt good.  My TK5 behind the 351 has 30w because i think it will lubricate better than thin transmission oil.

daboss,,
and you were still in diapers when the same conversation was going on about slick 50,,, now you know why i call all that stuff a waste of precious money many people should be saving instead of spending it on fruitless products that just end up in a stock vehicle with no real track time intended.  Let the Nascar guys support all those gimiks.,,, save your money and stick with what makes sense.

This boils down to the same conversation i had yesterday with someone.  they said,, "whatcha think about synthetic oils?"
I said,,"I suppose they are good but what am i suppose to do when i use it,, Not change my oil for 6 thousand miles or more on purpose?"  "and while im not changing my oil all that time, what do i do about the black oil i suddently see inside of 1000 miles??ignore it??"

Yeah,, false  sense of security.