Skip to main content
Topic: Premium Sound vs. Regular RE: Speaker straps (Read 2420 times) previous topic - next topic

Premium Sound vs. Regular RE: Speaker straps

"Regular" on the left, "Premium Sound" on the right.

We were talking about this the other week in the Wanted section so I figured I should throw this out there in case anybody searched or asked again (and since I happened to find both right next to each other in the shed 10 minutes ago :hick: )

Reply #1
I found this out in person when I went to JBL speakers in my car a while back. Luckily I got the straps when I pulled the speakers.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #2
what is the size of the rear speakers w/prem sound[6x8?]
anyone know the part #?

Reply #3
i had premium in my 83.... part#e2zf-13971-ba (that's the number under the ford logo)--- it says e2df18b980ba on the left and is stamped 6 ohms.....  i included a few pics, but it measures roughly 5 3/4 by 8 inches with the mounting holes 4 1/4 and 5 1/4 inches square

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #4
Aftermarket 6x9's fit in the factory holes. On most you can even use the Premium Sound straps to hold them in.

Reply #5
From the bottom or the top?

I just marked the position of the hole in the 6X9s onto the metal underneath the deck, and then drilled small holes.  So mine are mounted from the bottom with screws.  i always wondered though if they would sound better if they were surface mounted (from the top) as oppsed to mounting them like I have them.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #6
From the bottom. If the hole is big enough I don't see why you couldn't top-mount them (though most 6x9's are designed to be bottom mounted).

Reply #7
I'm using the premium straps to hold my Pioneer Premier 6X8's in place. No drilling required:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #8
That's exactly how I had my Alpine 6x9's Carm, it's so nice and easy isn't it?

Reply #9
The problem with mine was that the magnets were way too big. i have memphis M-class 3 ways, and the straps would just not go around them, no matter what i did. It all worked out though.  I used double sided tape to fasten the crossovers to the underside of the deck too, i'll try to get a pic up soon.
88 TC, Lots of Mods.