Skip to main content
Topic: ! More Crown Vic help, this time electrical! (Read 2545 times) previous topic - next topic

! More Crown Vic help, this time electrical!

I put new carpet in my 01 CVPI yesterday and swapped seats while I was at it. Now it doesn't want to shift out of park, the horn and cruise are non-functional, and the Airbag light is on. The harness on the new seat was cut and so it isn't plugged it. Is this what's causing all of my problems? Help! Carm, Paul, anybody?

Reply #1
Did you unplug anything around the steering column, or more importantly, did you snag a plug and pull it apart without realizing it?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
I don't think so? The carpet doesn't go that far into the footwell. The only thing different electrically today then yesterday is the driver's seat isn't plugged in. I haven't checked fuses yet.

Reply #3
OK, I checked the fuses and #22 is blown (15A, cruise control). I threw a 20A in and it immediately blew it too. So I pulled out the seat and spliced in the harness connector from my old seat (luckily everything was the same color/location) and put the seat back in. The airbag light is off now but the shifter problem remains. I have no more mini-BUS's so I can't check the fuse problem on the cruise. (I'm hoping it was the seat...).

I checked the brake pedal area, there's two switch/assembly/wired things under there, I wiggled them, disconnected and reconnected, no changes. Should I have somebody look at my brake lights?

What now (other then pick up some fuses!)?

Reply #4
Check and see that your brake lights are coming on when you step on the brakes. If not, the shift interlock won't release and let you put it in gear. (FYI: All of the tail lights, excluding the high mount (3rd) brake light, go through the multi-function switch in the steering column.)

Reply #5
OK, I replaced all the blown fuses and the seat is plugged in. Here's what's wrong:

1.) The shifter will not come out of park in the normal key position
2.) Horn does not work
3.) Cruise does not work
4.) Hazards do not work
5.) BRAKE LIGHTS do not work

HELP!

Reply #6
Fusible link? Master fuse under the hood? Have you tried probing for voltage at the non working bulb sockets?
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #7
1.  Can you jumper out the brake switch to see if that fixes the shifting problem?  Check to see if your brake lights come on at the same time.  Could just be a switch.

Reply #8
i would half to say it must be the carpet...the car doesnt like it .so put the old carpet back in ......sorry i couldnt resist it....any way was there any thing you could of hit in the pass foot well ...or how is the battery could it be low from having the doors open and the radio on while replacing the carpet..does the car start...shift lock on petle.....i mean if the car was fine before the install then just retrace every move you made....good luck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
do you have the door open or closed while your checking the range selector?

Its starting to sound like a relay is goggled loose also.

I have to look at my evtm and verify what role the flasher plays as well.

Reply #10
Door closed.

I'll check the brake switch tomorrow (the CVN guys say that it controls the shifter lockout and brakelights).

It does sound like I have 2 problems unless something came undone in the column itself?

Reply #11
87Cougar5Spd had it right on, none of the brake lights work.

nirvanagod, the lights work, just not the brake lights (same bulb). I haven't checked the fusible links though, I'll get in there.

xjeffs, good idea, I'll do that after rechecking all of the fuses.

Bearmax, I had the garage stereo on and the battery is a 1 month old Optima 1000CCA red top. It has PLENTY of juice. I turn the key 1 click, shift to neutral, and then start it. Drives fine, just no brake lights! I might have dislodged something under there putting in the carpet though. I looked under there today, and unplugged and re-plugged it, everything visually looked ok. Guess it's time for the test light, jumper wires, and multi-meter...

jcassity, door closed.

Reply #12
switch on the brake pedal.

Reply #13
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;199450
switch on the brake pedal.

Yup.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14
From the '01 Crown Vic shop manual:

The fuse #22 circuit can be all of your problems except the horn.

The LG/RD wire from fuse 22 goes to:
1. The the speed control servo (through a deactivate switch)
2. The multifunction switch to power the hazard lamps.
3. The Brake Pedal Position switch.

The LG wire from the brake pedal position switch goes the the brake lights and the shift lock actuator.