Skip to main content
Topic: differential question (Read 2757 times) previous topic - next topic

differential question

Reply #15
I did the opposite, sort of.  I pulled a 66 Bronco 9" welded on the 7.5 perches and mounted it under my 87 Bro. II.  Fit perfect, too.  I'm thinking of a cheap way to get 31 spline axles under my Tbird, and get rid of one more axle off the rack out back at the same time.  Then maybe pull the Explorer shafts from a JY (not like there's any mid 90's stangs there, lol) and try to make it all fit...with the help from the machinists at work, no doubt.

Vinnie, I should mention I would like to do what you guys did in my '62 Meteor.  It's nice to know it fits.
1987 TC

differential question

Reply #17
i would assume it wouldn't be very streetable with that kit...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

differential question

Reply #18
mini spools..... yep screw that welded spider gears do the same purpose with alot less cash unless of course u have a ford 9 then there cheap as hell. as for streetablility lol my car would have a hell of a time on a paved surface is squeals the tires trying to turn in the driveway lol.

differential question

Reply #19
That's not a locker....THESE are lockers!;)

I have a Powertrax.  It opens up on turns.  Other than the clicking noise it behaves nicely.  Rated for 800 TQ as well.  The weak link in the rear is the spider gears followed by the axle tubes.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

differential question

Reply #20
I bought a new Ranger in 92' w/4.0 auto and it came with a 31 spline 8.8.  I then bought a Auburn L/S diff for it and the guy gave me a diff for a 28 spline unit. Had to take the axle to prove it was a 31 spline.  You can also get 31 spline spider gears and change them. Just a thought.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

differential question

Reply #21
Quote from: 1BadBird;207549
.  You can also get 31 spline spider gears and change them. Just a thought.

You cant get them from Ford and do that, because 31 spline spiders, do not fit into 28 spline diff cases on an 8.8.  The only way you can put 31 spline spiders into a 28 spline case is if some aftermarket company makes them for that purpose.
Matt :tg: