Skip to main content
Topic: differential question (Read 2758 times) previous topic - next topic

differential question

can you make a non t-loc differential a t-loc. im looking into buying a non t-loc out of an explorer bc of the 31 spline. but dont want it if i cant use it as a t-loc and pack clutches into it and "S" clip
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

differential question

Reply #1
From what I've been reading, with the 7.5 it just takes a gear chunk change, and the 8.8 is the same.  from what i understand the 7.5 requires a ranger chunk, which i think is the same as a explorer, but i havnt read much into the 8.8.  but i've known the 8.8 as a t-loc rear so it wouldnt be hard to change that over.  but i get what your trying to do, taking a non t-loc and converting it.  the only what i've ever heard of that done is by welding the spider gears.  but thats not exactly t-loc, more live axle.  im sure the smarter guys on here can chime in and clear it up for ya.

you tryin to convert the non tl to tl b/c its cheaper, if this works i might be interested in the same before i do the rearend swap.

gah remind me not to post when im drunk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

differential question

Reply #2
yeah kinda. my car already is a t-loc car. (mustang) and i just wanted to upgrade to 31 spline axles and not speand 200+ from jegs when i could get the same from the junk yard for under 100. and this one is a non t-loc and im not going to buy it if i'll have an open rear. kinda stupid.
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

differential question

Reply #3
I'm pretty sure all you have to do is swap in the trak-lock carrier.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

differential question

Reply #4
Quote from: Red_LX;199066
I'm pretty sure all you have to do is swap in the trak-lock carrier.

Correct, but it has to start life as a trac-loc, you cannot add clutches to a diff that was originally open diff.  What size is your rearend?  8.8 or 7.5?  Either way, I dont recall ever seeing a 31 spline Explorer.....unless there were a few out there that I am unaware of.  If you are looking for a 31 spline trac-loc I belive you are going to have to look for an 8.8 out of an F150, or late model Cobra, but good luck there because those guys think that their "Cobra" diffs are worth gold.
Matt :tg:

differential question

Reply #5
all explores are 31, Ive got a 8.8 . it's cool im juts gonna have to go back on saturday and locate a t-loc unit. i got a couple pointers on how to identify them .

differential question

Reply #6
all 95-01 explorers are 31spline

maybe even 91-94, but id hafta go diggin for info to make sure.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

differential question

Reply #7
Cool then, glad that was figured out, and now I know for future reference.  A lot of the little details like that I don't pay attention to, because I just dont have the time.
Matt :tg:

differential question

Reply #8
Says here they were 31 spline as early as '90...

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

differential question

Reply #9
Quote from: slowfoxbird;199072
Correct, but it has to start life as a trac-loc, you cannot add clutches to a diff that was originally open diff.

Well that was kinda my point....

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

differential question

Reply #10
well the rear i tore apart was for practice.(as i cant use it) but i was over on the truck board and found the axle identification chart. so if the rears werent changed I should be able to find the gears i want with 31 spline count T-lock http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/022/article/Ford_Axle_Code_Chart_.html and if anyone eles wants to know there you go.

differential question

Reply #11
do what to the spider gears for how many cookies??

BTW, this thread is getting my attention and you need to post pics.

differential question

Reply #12
many pictures here on axle identification
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

differential question

Reply #13
I thought of making a new thread, but this seems related enough.  I have a 1989 f150 8.8 sitting out back.  I have no use for it in any truck since I have several 9" rears out back, too.  But couldn't the carrier assembly fit into a tbird/cougar or mustang 8.8?  That would net 31 spline gears, then all I would need are 31 spline shafts  correct?  I'm just wondering if it's worth keeping the rear end I have, or not.  Trying to sell it may not get me anywhere either, since this is truck country.  Spring cleaning is around the corner...like a couple months away. :hick:
1987 TC

differential question

Reply #14
My friend and I pulled an 8.8 with TL and 3.73's from a 5.0 Explorer and installed the rear in his '67 Mustang.We had to weld on the new spring perches,but it fit like a glove.It was also a disc rear.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..