Skip to main content
Topic: General progress and misc convo (no post whoring!) (Read 1988 times) previous topic - next topic

General progress and misc convo (no post whoring!)

Well I wanted to start a thread to let people post the little things they're doing to their cars they otherwise wouldnt dedicate a whole thread to.  also hopefully it could get kinda off topic without post whoring.

For instance, i would like to ask "do you guys noticed your cars performing better in 20* = -20* temps vs. say, 70* = 90*?"  but i didnt want to make a thread or have another thread go off topic.  but i guess i just did hah.

but still, if your doin miner stuff, say like installing new trim pieces, or before and afters of clay bar results or other polishing.  weather, and other off topic stuff.  new tires? show them off! you know boring off topic stuff.

the way i look at it, some stuff doesnt need a whole thread, but things like major modifications can have their own thread.  im going to freshen up the front end of my car with fog lights and maybe some shims if i dont need the front pulled (Deer).  i plan on taking the whole front down and inspecting it for damage.  ( SNOW), gotta do it during the week one my 2 days off when i dont get overtime! GAH.  I'll try to get pics.  i guess thats what this thread will really dospoogeent.  im just anxious to get this going so im posting a day or 2 ahead of time.

mods delete or close this thread if you dont approve!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #1
i noticed my car gets better gas mileage when i wax it.  IT also handles better when i leave all the ice sickles and snow on cause it pulls the body down and stiffens the suspension.  :D

Reply #2
The Sport LOVES the cold weather.....a lot.It would take a page to cover what I'm doing.I'll try to sum it up a little shorter........Here's what I myself am doing with the Sport...............

-bodywork for new paint
-working on gathering parts for a 5 speed upgrade
-getting ready to install new heads and E303 cam
getting ready to install sound deadener throught the car
-install electric fan
-install new Hella foglights
-install restored taillight lenses and sequential light kit
-looking to install lowering springs (just a little lower)
-acquiring parts to re-install a/c
-waiting for my new exhaust tips so I can install them
-and a few other tiny things

That's it for now.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
The car may love the cold, but I don't.  I can't wait til it's 80 degrees and I'm runnin down the road with the wind blowing by me.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #4
It was -20 last winter when my tbird decided to blow a head gasket or something.  still runs, when parked, lol.
1987 TC

Reply #5
hey vinnie are you installing the TC style hella foglights?  i got some foglights from walart over the holidays that fits perfectly in the non TC bumper holes.  im thinking about gutting my power antenna and fixing it extended and using the stock switch for the fog lights.  it might not work, so if i cant swing it without destroying the switch im ganna just wire it in with the running lights.  (i dont wanna install that goofy non matching lit up red switch that cmae with them.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
Mine hogs gas when I start it this cold. Seriously, like a gallon every 5 minutes. Its awful.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #7
-14* this morning.  Truck wouldn't turn over.  Jumped it.  On the way back from the store it popped the heater core.

Reply #8
I havnt been able to drive my car in too cold of weather b/c of the tires on it.  but usually when its cold my car does feel a bit quicker from the seatdyno data.  My heater core and blowers are going bad so the heater barely works, so i never run with it even with it in the 30's and 40's.  just layer up.  im a cold person anyway.  also the A/C doesnt work so im screwed unless its a cool summer night in the mid 70's.  im either ganna fix all that or gut all that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
Quote from: stuntmannick;198923
-14* this morning.  Truck wouldn't turn over.  Jumped it.  On the way back from the store it popped the heater core.

gah, sorry to hear about that, sure you didnt have enough antifreeze in there (doubt you'd neglect that.) is it bad enough that its dumping fluid on floorboard?  mine hasnt done that, that i've noticed yet.  it steams up my windshield when i stomp on it tho so i got tape over the defroster holes and dash vents so i dont breathe it in too mcuh.  (looks like a  fire in my car sometimes, dont wanna get pulled over for it :flame:)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #10
Yes,factroy style Hella lights.I found a set on Ebay (they sell one set at a time),that are identical to the originals,except the harness and switch come with the lights.They have a different plug on them.I don't care because my car didn't come with fog lights anyway,so,I have all I need to hook them up.They were cheaper than used lights as well,and these look identical to the old ones,made by Hella as well.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #11
Quote from: vinnietbird;198880

-working on gathering parts for a 5 speed upgrade

I got him to do that.

-demon-

I just converted to 5speed
waiting on axles for my 8.8 3.55
hurst shifter
flowtech full length headers
(need a new radio [taxtime]
needs a set of motor mounts [taxtime]
and i need to put my new tires on it.

-angel-

A new plug wire. and an oil change and one hellofa bath.

she just got a new upper door hinge pin. ones for dodge durango's work perfect but you have to drill the hole out a tidbit. after you grind and pound the old one out.

Reply #12
Here's what I'm currently up to:
Swapping out my 94gt master cylinder for a 93 cobra unit for better pedal feel.
Installing new booster.
Pulled a set of fox mustang control arms from the salvage yard to install in the tbird.
New ball joints and poly bushings in the arms, steering rack, sway bar, and end links.
New shoes once the tax refund comes in (Nitto 555's all the way around).
New clutch pack in the rear end along with 3.73's to replace the
3.27's.

That's about it for now.....yeah right :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://www.fquick.com/slicksport88
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around

Reply #13
Getting ready to get this fixed...:raspberry

Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #14
Thats gonna take some pullin and hammerin
Looks like it got rubber buffed by a 18 wheeler
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook