Skip to main content
Topic: Cooling fan decision, please help (Read 2497 times) previous topic - next topic

Cooling fan decision, please help

Okay first and foremost, is it okay to run a couple of days w/out a cooling fan?  It's going to be in the 40's or so and I don't do much stop and go driving, mostly highway.  So am I okay without one for awhile assuming I don't get stuck in traffic?

Secondly, are there any electrical cooling fans that will bolt right up to my 87 3.8?  I know I'll need to do wiring, but I just need it to fit.  Wiring I can do, fabricating a mounting system, I cannot.  I'd prefer the cooling fan(s) be from a vehicle that came with them stock and not an aftermarket setup.  Ideas?
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Re: Cooling fan decision, please help

Reply #1
As long as the temp stays below 210* or so I dont see a prob... Aactually 230*-240* won't hurt it as long as you have a good pressure cap, but I would shut it down if it got over that. The Turbo Coupe fans would likely fit and cool a 3.8, but you'll have to figure a wiring plan. On the TC the upper operates with the AC and when the temp reaches 210*, lower is basically a assist fan that kicks in if the temp reaches 225*. It has a 7 blade fan and is rather loud, upper just has 4 blades.

Or you may get a single fan from a '87-'93 4 cyl Stang they are fairly large and would porb cool a 3.8... Then there are later Stangs, Taurus, etc that have electric fans...

Reply #2
My car used to overheat, I later found it was almost out of water(I used to be car illiterate). I used to just shut it off at lights and things and I would stay above 60 mph by takeuing the freeway everywhere..
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
I wouldn't run it without some sort of cooling fan especially on a 3.8l but to each his own.

Reply #4
I picked up a 14" electric fan today.  It's a Hayden.  Wasn't as bad to install as I thought it would be.  Seems to work pretty well with the adjustable temperature relay.  It set me back 70 bucks total.

Reply #5
Quote from: amooset
with the adjustable temperature relay.

those exist?
me not know of such an animal :dunno:

Reply #6
those exist?

It's basically just a thermostat in line w/ the fan.  It resembles a relay which I why I called it one.  It's adjustable from 32-230 degrees fahrenheit.  I don't know why you'd have it turn on at freezing temps, but you could...

Reply #7
some 3.8 owners would still blow a headgasket even if they could run at 32 degrees.
One 88

Reply #8
those exist?

i got one to. got it from abc before they went out of buisness.

Reply #9
James Duff Enterprises makes one for Ford Rangers / Bronco II's.  They work great and can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/674nb
Scroll down about half way.  He also has the necessary switches for the install.  Not sure if it would work in a cat or bird, but its worth checking out.  Duff makes some great stuff it you are a Ranger / Bronco II fan or owner.

Reply #10
Well i run a elc fan off a FWD v6 something,
I have it on a switch and when on the hwy i can drive with out it in the winter and leave it off to help heat up the motor and then use it when need be.

I have a V8 with 4 core rad,  With little 3.6 u can do the same thing and call it good if u want or use a relay.

As for driving with out a fan, its not bad in the winter but if u stop moving for any lenth of time u can over heat even if its -10 out side when there is no air moving past the rad to cool.

So be carefull.