Skip to main content
Topic: How much should I pay for a factory turbo from a junk yard? (Read 1277 times) previous topic - next topic

How much should I pay for a factory turbo from a junk yard?

They're asking $125. Which isn't bad if you're buying from some one directly on a forum or ebay but I just thought it was kinda steep for a junk yard considering I don't know how hard the car was driven, if the millage is accurate, or if there's any shaft play. Not to mention It'll need a rebuild. I will say it doesn't look bad considering the car took a hard hit to the front and the hoods been slightly raised for who knows how long. Well I'll probably go ahead and buy it but I'm gonna try my edest to talk him down to $75 or $100. Just wanted to see what you guys had to say.

Reply #1
is it an IHI?  I'll let you have one for $75 shipped

Reply #2
They're asking $125
That's high...
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #3
what. how much i'm sure you can find a better deal unless this one is a very low mileage in great condition, even then you can upgrade it a used t-3 for that price. then you have more to build on before you need a better turbo.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #4
I was actually hoping to find a T3 or at least upgrade my compressor wheel and housing. $75 isn't bad for an IHI shipped.

Reply #5
How much should I counter offer them? They also had an earlier TC with a turbo should I offer $150 for both turbos? Personally I think $75 for the turbo, the down pipe, all the bolts, and the oil line is a good deal considering its been sitting there for who knows how long and is going to need a rebuild. What do you guys think>

Here's the whole story. I went to this junk yard to buy a headlight for my girlfriends 96 intrepid because autozone wanted $70. So the guy at the yard says if you find one its yours for $25 and that they didn't have any 87 or 88 T-birds so I look and find like five intrepids but the only one that still has lights is broken the same  way. I find at least four 87 or 88 T-birds only two of which are TCs and only one has the turbo. So I asked how much for the turbo out of the T-bird and they still insist they don't have one. I was like I own one trust me I know what they look like so the lady goes back into the house to ask the older gentleman how much, comes back and says $125 and he'll only sell the whole thing and not just parts. I never inquired about buying part of the turbo so I don't think they where on the same page.

Reply #6
My local yard charges $75, but you can walk around and take your pick (check for shaft play, mileage, oil/water lines).
They have at least four T3s at this particular yard, but all of them have some form of shaft play. Two of the T3s reside in an XR4Ti and a Ranger, which I thought was pretty cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
T3? Not IHI? If I send you $75 + shipping and maybe a little extra for gas or whatever could you get one and send it to me if its a T3?