Skip to main content
Topic: Need some info/advice in here... (Read 2151 times) previous topic - next topic

Need some info/advice in here...

Just got a call from my dad saying that my mother is taking him back to court because of owed child support, which I can understand. This is the part that directly effects me, and I need info on.
He has no means to pay her, so he's thinking if the court breaths down his neck to pay, he's gonna have to sell my mustang... My thought is what if he signs over the car as portion of the payment. Does anyone know if this would work? Or would they give diddly shiznit for the car. I swear if he has to sell the car for her, I'll disown her. That car means more to me then anything in the world.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't wanna lose that car, and i know my dads gonna try to not have to sell if, but I'm not crossing my fingers.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #1
1. Talk to your Mom, tell her your concerns about the car. Same goes with Dad.

2. Have it appraised, it is a classic Mustang and should hold some value.

3. Have Dad give it to Mom towards amount, make agreement where you get/buy it.

Reply #2
Child support sucks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #3
Yea Im gonna talk to her when she gets home, dad already knows thats last resort is to sell it, cause he knows how much it means to me.
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #4
I've been though the same thing when i was young.
grew up very poor also.
you won't see it now. but in 20 years you'll realize that material things aren't going to pay the bills or put food on the table.
family should come first. you shouldn't  be mad at anyone thats trying to take care of you.

just my 2 cents

If I was in your dads position I would sell anything I had to make sure my kids didn't grow up the way I did
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
my mom makes  good money, and has had no problem paying for everything, and then some(brand new car, plus the cobra). Itrs my dad thats struggling.
Just talked to her, she refuses to take the car as payment cause she says the car has been mine for years, as true as that may be, its not in my name. Ugh if i lose that car, i lose the last of the memories before my parents divorced. The sentimental value that car has to me is tremendous. Just the thought of it going, makes me literally sick to my stomach.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #6
they will most likely garnish his wages or freeze his "known" accounts. my dad's going through the same thing, but you know what? he never paid his child support, and i dont feel too sorry for him.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #7
Put the car in your name
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
Im thinking about having him sign it over, that way i know it goes no where
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #9
if he gives you the car, she can sign off on whatever amount she wants $1 $1000 whatever. if she cooperates, at least in michigan if she doesnt then i can get really bad
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #10
your dads situation is piviatal here because if he has no employment, there is nothing at this moment to garnish.  Then its likely jail time which makes matters even more stupid. 

Your dad "not having the means to pay her" sounds like you are saying he has no income. Does this mean "at the moment" or "he's laid off" or "he's in between jobs".  whats the scoop on dads work?

Some dads lay low for child support reasons because the court will garnish wages to an extreem level.  My friend not only had his income garnished in the state of VA but also his perdium which is illegal.  This forced him to lose his job because his hourly rate of 18/hr and perdium of 12/hr was both garnished.  All the court saw was 30/hr income so 15 of that went to child support.

From a statement you made,, it sounds like mom is pushing buttons finally for matters of prinl and the extra income might help her do a little exta around the house.  If thats the case,, its pretty ugly imho but i dont know the full deal on what mom has put up with nor should you share it.  I just thought id share that wth you because from the outside looking in,,, you said mom makes " good money".

Im about to share with you something you will never forget,,,,,,,,,"ITS CHEAPER TO KEEP EM"

Reply #11
My moms a nurse so she makes good money, she does these side jobs where she pulls in on average 600 for one night. My father is a boilermaker and is in between jobs right now, and is living on unemployment....
Shes sick of him only sending amounts when he can, she said something were shed rather if he send amounts all the time of some , she just is done waiting i guess. I dont know, I just dont want to ahve a bad outcome....
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #12
Not that I’m familiar w/your or your family’s situation but my guess is your living w/your mom but very friendly w/your father. You’re going to have to sit down w/your mom and tell her she’s personally hurting you w/this.
In your dads defense in court you can always state that your dad bought you the mustang though it’s in his name cause of your age you and him spend father/son time working on it and one day he was going to pass it on to you. My mom taking this not only disrupts me and my father’s relationship but my moms taking this for her own personal gain. Don’t forget saying this in an official court is not healable it will put a lot of tension between you and you mom, so I recommend talking to her first.
Last thing your mom and dad have serious issues w/each other using you as a tool, take in account your dad could be telling you this to side w/him.

Reply #13
Quote from: Innes;197132
Last thing your mom and dad have serious issues w/each other using you as a tool, take in account your dad could be telling you this to side w/him.

hate to say it but that was my first thought.
Worse than that, my experience from my divorce 4 years ago here in Washington State (laws are different in different states) is the JUDGE will look at it like that also. The general rule here is this is between the mother and father, the children should know NOTHING about it! I brought my 17 year old son to one court date with me (I had custody and had just had to pick him up after school as he got sick on the day of court) and him simply sitting out in the hall (I wouldn't let him come in , my attourny recommended against it) and HER attourny told the judge he was out there and the judge just reamed my ass for involving the children.

Sorry Mason, I'm sure you dident want to hear this view. I know ya love your dad and it's a shame you have to be brought into this But something else to think about. My kids were 15 and 17, The Judge gave total dicesion making to them WHO they wanted to live with. They were old enough themselves to decide. If they are in court already, it may be a good time to decide you want to go live with dad... then while your all already there, the judge could set what your mother will be paying him for child support.

Not sure it would work there in your state. But that would have been the case here in Washington.

the EX paid me $25. a month Child Support.
had they gone with her
I would have been paying her $750. a month.
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

Reply #14
I refused to start my life over again, untill i have to. What he doesnt seem to get is no matter what he trys, I'm not moving with him till im done with highschool because wyotech is 30 mins from his house. I wont get involved, like I'm sure he would like, cause my mom only told me shes taking him to court. I WILL NOT choose sides, BUT if I lose MY car as a result of something they battle, I will NOT be on good terms with either of them. As selfish as that may sound, I mean I know its just a car, but the value of that car to me, is much less then anyone else. Wish my father would get that no matter what he says, I will not think less of my mother. There problems have effected me enough as it is, so I would rather not be in the middle of creating more!
my $300 beater ;)