Skip to main content
Topic: Any operational problems with chrome headlight s? (Read 825 times) previous topic - next topic

Any operational problems with chrome headlight s?

A few days ago I installed a Ford Motorsport grill on my Tbird, now suddenly the headlight s look pretty shabby.  I guess the chrome of the stock grill drew attention away from them.  So now I'm considering what to do with them.  For ages I was considering having them fully chromed but I'm wondering how that'll affect the headlight beams (reflections and whatnot).  The other thing I just now thought of would be to paint them black and leave the chrome edges.  That might actually look pretty kickass.  Sometime tonight I'll update my sig with a fresh picture.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #1
i take it the motorsport grill is black like the rest of the car?  i'd say paint the buckets to match, with the chrome touches b/c isnt the bird on the grill chrome too?  it'd match.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Reply #2
The grill came to me painted flat black with silver colored mesh.  It doesn't perfectly match the car's paint during the day but this isn't the greatest time of year to paint it, atleast if you go by the guidelines on the paint can.  Eventually the grill will be regular black and I'll paint the bird logo chrome.  I guess I'll try them black first since I can get another set dirt cheap from the yard.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #3
paint the ones from the yard first if they're in worse shape than the ones you got!!!  if you have a garage im pretty sure the paint will do fine if you have a space heater that heats the whole place (just keep it as far away from the paint as possible, just heat the whole garage.)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
My garage is pretty much unheatable in the winter, I've tried.  When I was still rebuilding the engine in late October a while back I had to have the space heater jammed up my pant leg to get the effect.  Bare cinder block walls with various vent holes for long lost machines.  I'd spend the time to make it proper but I'd rather just move.

For a couple of bucks I'll probably take the chance on a junkyard set, if they turn out well then great.

Reply #5
awe man, all you need is a thing of insulation for the holes in the walls and a paint roller with some outdoor/indoor paint :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]