Skip to main content
Topic: Underdrive Pullies (Read 2552 times) previous topic - next topic

Underdrive Pullies

I was bored today and since it was such a nice day (78 degrees:D ) I thought it would be a good day to take the underdrives off the 87 and try em out on the 86. I took some pics along the way... (I'm such a camera w, heheh) I didn't change out the alternator pulley, only the crank and water pump pulleys.

There seemed to be a seat of the pants difference with the change. The engine seemed to be more responsive and rev a little quicker. It didn't affect the coolant temp at all and the stereo was fine with the lights on. The dash lights would dim a little with the turn signals though (who cares).

Here's a pic of the water pump pullies. The big one is the underdrive.

The underdrive crank pulley is the small one.

And finally, the tensioner stayed within range with the stock (for my config) belt.

This is pretty basic stuff but I figured somebody might find this info useful someday. Also, you dont have to remove the fan shroud to do this job. Just leave the belt on to break loose the fan and crank bolts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #1
sorry, i do more restoration on my car than modifications... and this is prolly a "newbie" question... but what exactly does an underdrive pulley do?  i mean isnt the crank > cam a chain?  and all other accessories run off the pullies?  i mean im lost in the concept!  can ya help a simpleton out?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #2
slows down the accessories so they have less drag on the motor
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #3
The underdrive pullies slow down the BELT driven accesories. The small crank pulley reduces the speed at which the belt is being spun by the crank and allows the engine to spin more freely. The larger water pump and alternator pullies that come with the kit reduce parasitic drag by further reducing the speed of those accessories. They've been pretty well proven to increase HP across the RPM band by 7 to 9 HP.

I think I got that right.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #4
I have one of these on my Mark vii and even with a 4,000lb car you can still feel improved pull of the line. Add a K&N filter to add even more.
:burnout:

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #5
i don't have a system or anything, but i have a  nice head unit and decent component speakers (the head unit made the biggest difference in sound quality, for 500 bucks it better) so would this screw that up at all?  what if i complimented the under drive pullies with a alternator upgrade, would that make up the difference if there was one?  (also so i dont get any dimming what so ever?)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #6
I've got two 300 watt alpine amps and I have no issues at night with all the lights on. However, it's important to note that I'm using the stock alternator pulley and I have the 3g alternator upgrade. I'm not sure if it's the 95 or 130 amp version though. The car already had it when I bought it.

On my 87 bird I had a stock alternator with all 3 underdrive pulleys installed and had no problems with my Pioneer DEH P4600MP 50X4 Mosfet head unit. Turn signals seemed to be the biggest drain and even that was never a problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #7
O.K.,I'll go to Ebay and pick up a set asap.You talked me into it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #8
I could use 7-10 ponys!!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #9
Update... I am having charging issues at idle with the stereo cranked up. The tach will start bouncing all over the place and if I turn the lights on the tach dies. It cant handle those two amps at full power at idle. And the alt is the 135 amp 3g.

The jury is still out but if it gets annoying I lose the crank pulley and just leave the water pump pulley on. So if you have a high power stereo I'd think twice about installing pullies.

My battery was on it's way out and I had corrosion on the positive battery cable at the terminal end. Once I bought a new battery and fixed that wire I have no more charging problems.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #10
I run MARCH underdrive pulleys on my cougar. regular old 2g alternator. ive never had any problems. highbeams on, windsheild wipers goin, radio on, radar detector on. never had any problems. sure a 3g would be better, but i dont see any need for me to switch if everything is still working fine.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #11
Question for you all.

I talked to several vendors and they said that the mustang underdrive pulleys won't work? So what did you guys/gals use?
I don't see the difference in a Tbird/cougar 5.0 and a mustang 5.0. My bird is an 88 and a masterpiece in the working.LOL

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #12
Mustang underdrive pulleys work fine unless you got 3 amps but can be fixed as easy as a 3G swap after that.

Got a BBK set of my old motor and the new car i just bought only has 1 underdrive pulleys and not a full set.

So as long as you don't have a massive car audio set-up go order you a set ASAP.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #13
Since the crank turns all the accesorys I got a crank u/d pulley and im gonna run just that and see what that does.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Underdrive Pullies

Reply #14
daboss351. let me know how that works for ya.  The spare engine I have has just the crank UD on it.  I don't have the full set so I was thinking of just throwing stockers back on it.