Skip to main content
Topic: Don’t mod your car or theses guys will catch you (Read 2199 times) previous topic - next topic

Don’t mod your car or theses guys will catch you

These 2 detectives are watching us
I got this from FSb.com

mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/Tech8_250k.wmv

Reply #1
Sorry I can’t make it a link but if you cut and paste it-it works.

Reply #2
This is something the S197 Mustang boys definitely need to be aware of. They do say that the modifications alone are not sufficient reason to void the warrantee. The failure has to be accociated with the modification... However, you can accociate any failure with any mod if you try hard enough.

Hell, even an aftermarket stereo could void your warantee if it's the cause of a problem. For example, I went through 4 clutch cables last year because of a stereo power wire under the dash. Had my car been under warantee it would have been voided once they figured out what was causing the cable failures.

It's definitely something to think about before you take a car that's modded in ANY way into the dealer for a WARANTEE repair.

This probably doesnt apply to very many of us on this site though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #3
Leave it to Ford to scare you from buying aftermarket parts and improvement unless you use thier parts and tecks to install.

Reply #4
Quote from: cougardoc;195296
Leave it to Ford to scare you from buying aftermarket parts and improvement unless you use thier parts and tecks to install.

I dont think that's the issue really. The issue is money and who should pay. Should Ford have to buy you a new clutch or transmission for your GT500 if you've been running a smaller blower pulley and have the PCM modded? Uh, hell no! I understand the dealers perspective because they dont want to get raped either.

But, if your stereo or power seat stops working they cannot void your warantee because of the blower pulley. You need to understand your rights as a consumer but also understand that the dealer/manufacturer has rights also.

Bottom line is if you are gonna mod a vehicle under warantee. Be prepared to foot the bill if you break something and dont get mad at the dealer if you get caught out trying to screw them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #5
Isn't this the same reason the Dealerships selling/leasing a car/truck to you wants you to have them do the oil change, so as to not void the warranty?  Leave nothing to chance?  I don't know, cuz I drive nothing newer than 1995.
1987 TC

Reply #6
I've never done anything to my vehicles until the warranty is up.
I guess I like to play it safe just in case. and I never change anything until its paid for. even the stereo.
I guess I'm a little querky like that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
F*ck the dealers....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #8
OLD.....  Magnuson-Moss Warantee Act.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #9
I guess I am ok , My TC is out of warranty. :)
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]