Skip to main content
Topic: TC cooling fan Q (Read 1953 times) previous topic - next topic

TC cooling fan Q

One thing I've noticed about the the TC I bought is that I haven't seen the fans kick on..... ever. Are there relays or switches I should check, and where would the be to check? For all the TC parts cars I have/had, I'm still in the dark about the electrical stuff for them. Any clues/ ideas would be greatly appreciated! :D
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Re: TC cooling fan Q

Reply #1
Do you have problems running hot? Also is it the stock radiator? If the car stays cold I doubt you would see it kick on. Specailly where the car has to be stopped and the hood up for you to see it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
If it idles long enough to reach 210* the upper fan should kick on, also it should operate with the AC compressor on(but it may be to cold to get the A/C to engage, or it may not have a charge). Even if it's discharged, jumping the low pressure switch on the acculimator should actavate the fan with the A/C on.. If none of this brings it on, ground pin 17 of the IRCM(intergrated relay controll module, the black box just in front of the passenger side strut tower). If it now runs, problem is likely a defective ECT sensor(center of intake between injectors 2 & 3). If it doesn't run then either the fan motor, or the relay in the IRCM is defective(assuming there is power to the IRCM, it is fed by a fuse link).

The lower fan kicks on when the temp reaches 225* A/C on or off, I'll have to do a little checking to see what pin on the IRCM to ground to check it.

BTW... inside the IRCM is also a A/C compressor switch(transistor), as well as EEC and fuel pump relays. SO IF YOU JUMPER PIN 17 AS I SUGGESTED(its a pink wire), BE SURE ITS ACTUALLY PIN 17. IF YOU JUMPER THE WRONG PIN, YOU CAN POSSBLY SMOKE THE EEC OR BURN UP SOMETHING ELSE.... end of disclamer....

Reply #3
Well, things are gonna have to wait for a bit before I can check things out. There's 5" of snow covering everything. :mad:

I can say that the A/C compressor wasn't working. The connector was unplugged, and the drive belt was off. And the cannister on the firewall, (is this the acspoogeilator?) doesnt have a switch attached to the schrader valve on top of the bottle. I think there was a jumper in the connector, but I can't be sure until I can get back under the hood.

As soon as I can take a look at things again, I'll update you guys. Thanks alot!  :bowdown:
Resident "Idiot".

Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Reply #4
I just did some work to get my fans working... I found that on my car it was a bad ircm unit ($120) from a ford dealer Yes its still available....  fixed my cooling problem, but I also found that my a/c pressure switch isnt letting the 7 blade fan turn on..  bad thing since I just charged my a/c.  so jumper wire it is until I can locate a new switch...

Reply #5
Wow, been awhile for this thread. :D  Forgot about it. Since this reminded me about it, I made a point to check things out again. The cars been sitting, cause I've been driving the LX more. Also had a problem with the TC's tranny shifting pretty rough, but adjusting the TV cable fixed that.

As for my cooling fan problem, the primary fan (passenger side) is toast. I jumpered it directly to the battery, and it was flatline. The secondary fan spun fine. I have a spare TC fan assy, but the primary fan on that seems shot also.

Does any one know off hand if the primary fan motor and secondary fan motor are interchangeable? The secondary fan on the spare assy works, and I figured I could swap it out with my bad primary.  :crazy:  :hick:
Resident "Idiot".

Reply #6
the only thing that I can say is to take them out and see if they fit..  would be worth the try to have two 7 blade fans to keep things cool..  I dont see why ford didnt do it in the first place. :dunno: