Skip to main content
Topic: Boost questions (Read 1032 times) previous topic - next topic

Boost questions

What's a good boost level to run at the track that won't hurt my engine? Also what's a good boost level over stock to run on the street? What is everybody else boosting at?

Boost questions

Reply #1
It depends on what your setup is on the car. Like what are your mods and do you have an IC, etc. ?
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

Boost questions

Reply #2
Right now its a bone stock 88 Turbo Coupe with an intercooler. I've gotta get some things fixed on the car before I can even drive it but I've been stock piling parts and info.

Boost questions

Reply #3
Your car has an IHI turbo, which is supposed to be good up to 18 pounds.  I wouldn't run it over 16 or 17.  A decent block will handle most of what you throw at it, it's the head gasket that'll get ya.

Boost questions

Reply #4
Quote from: tc²;194349
Your car has an IHI turbo, which is supposed to be good up to 18 pounds.  I wouldn't run it over 16 or 17.  A decent block will handle most of what you throw at it, it's the head gasket that'll get ya.

But if I upgrade to a T3 I'll be able to boost a little more right? Also is there anything I can do to make the head gasket a little more durable just to be safe?

Boost questions

Reply #5
Bypass the boost control solenoid, and you'll get about 16-18psi. Perfect on an IHI. I was running 20psi on my IHI for a while, didn't do very good for power.

These cars are more durable than you're making them out to be. Took me 24psi, and too much timing to pop my factory head gasket.
It's Gumby's fault.

Boost questions

Reply #6
Quote from: tc²;194349

took 30 psi on pump gas to kill a 8993 on mine (not reccomended)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication