Skip to main content
Topic: Which springs to use? (Read 1454 times) previous topic - next topic

Which springs to use?

Which springs would be good to drop the front of the Sport about 1-1 1/2 inches?I've seen the Stang lowering springs,but didn't know how well they would work on our cars as far as the actual drop would be on my car ('88 Sport).Something I want to do as soon as spring gets here.That comes early here in Oklahoma.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Which springs to use?

Reply #1
I've heard or rather, read about some fellas using the newer Cobra springs, at the expense of a harsher ride.
Most likely the 96-98 springs, as the IRS springs would be different.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Which springs to use?

Reply #2
The reqar I'm not worried about,and I really don't want a really harsh ride.I understand that I can't have a Lincoln feel to it,but an inch to an inch and a half lower with a decent ride would be nice.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Which springs to use?

Reply #3
Try picking up some 5.0 Mustang springs that are supposed to lower them about an inch or so. I have used BBK coils up front in mine and they brought the front down nicely. I don't know how much exactly but it wasn't anything excessive, I never got it aligned afterward and I'm not getting any weird wear on my tires (well except for wearing out the outside edges ;))

Oh yeah, the ride mostly sucks if you're on any kind of rough road, but then it wasn't any better with the stock springs. I think it's the PRC struts more than anything. Car feels good and tight and handles awesome, but you feel every bump.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Which springs to use?

Reply #4
I already feel most bumps with the low profile tires I'm using.I just need it about an inch or inch and a half lower in the front.I didn't know if Stock Mustang springs were any different than the Sports stock front springs.

Which springs to use?

Reply #5
Everything is a compromise. Bullitt/Mach 1 Springs... seem to be a good "middle of the road" spring set in my experience. The rears will prolly require spacers or adjustable RLCAs...
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Which springs to use?

Reply #6
Thanks.The rear of my car is low enough when I take the shock spacers off.They lift the car about 1 3/4 to 2 inches.I need a good spring to lower the front about an inch to an inch and a half.How much do the Mach 1 or Bullitt springs usually run for?

Which springs to use?

Reply #7
Used, you can get a whole set for around $100. Check eBay and corral... it's been awhile since I bought anything Fox related so I'm not too keen on the current market.

I think there are some places that still sell them new. Not sure if they split them up though.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Which springs to use?

Reply #8
Thanks a lot.I'll check the Corral first.

Which springs to use?

Reply #9
I'm sure you've read my posts here, but my ride height is 26.5" from ground to bottom of fender lip with worn 225/60/15's (25.2" diameter) using Mach 1 springs. I got them used for $100.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Which springs to use?

Reply #10
I've got the 17x9 Cobra R wheels,and they don't need to hit the fender lips.I'd like to trade them for a pair of 17x8's.I may just buy the 17x8 wheels and call it good.They hit my struts without spacers.It's always something.No big deal.I can work that out easy.