Skip to main content
Topic: X-mas confusion!!! iPod ? (Read 1909 times) previous topic - next topic

X-mas confusion!!! iPod ?

Hopfully someone here can get this straight for me. My 11 year old boy wants an iPod for Christmas & I'm a little out of date on these new electronic gadgets that he just has to have to keep his world from coming to an end. I need to know the difference between the iPod & a media player. They seem to be the same to me. Is iPod just a brand name for Apple? I have noticed that the iPod is the only one that is iToons compatible. I'm thinking that his main concern is music, video, & photo storage. I found a Sony media player that is over $100 cheaper than the Apple iPod & to me they seem to do the same thing. Or is there something special about the iPod that I'm missing? Please help! If I have to take him with me to show me what he wants, you know  well he's going to pick the most expensive one in the store & try to convince me that it's the only one that will fit his needs!

Reply #1
which i-pod did he want?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
Well consider this the battery in most ipods are proprietary and unchangeable (unless they ave changed this i dont keep up on Apple tech) meaning when your battery totally drains you have to send it back to apple to have it changed. The last i heard it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 dollar charge to replace the internal battery.Again i dont keep up on Apple Tech Eric might be able to help more with this than myself.

Reply #3
Yes an IPOD is the Apple Brand media player. I will warn you a buddy of mine has an IPOD. Every timewe he hooks it up to put some more tunes on there is makes you take the whole folder off then put the new tunes in the folder then drag the folder back onto the IPOD! I didn't like this. The media players I have you just drag and drop it onto the device.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #4
My wife and daughter both have had Ipods for a long time,they charge them by plugging them ionto the computer and have never had any problems.My 11 year old wants one as well,and they are at walMart for $77.00 without the video screen on them .More with video.Ipod,in my opinion,seems to be the most popular player,and you can buy charge up cards (you know,the cards that you get,use them online to buy music to download onto the ipod).Anyway.Go to the electronics dept. at the store and they can tell you everything.The younger people are all over these things.I may someday,but for now,the only time I need my music is when I'm driving,and I have a 10 disc changer,and the cd player in the dash,so,I'm good.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Battery life is no longer an issue with iPods. They've improved dramatically since the originals over 6 years ago.

The cheapest video iPod would be the 4GB nano which is $150. It would hold short videos, maybe a movie or two. The 8GB nano is $200. The 80GB ipod Classic is $250 and holds many more movies and videos (that's the one I have, essentially). You can see how the pricing can escalate quickly, so if you're on a budget you have to restrain yourself. Also, Apple does not discount the iPod much and dictates to retailers their profit margin, so don't expect any great deals. The upside is higher resale value. The iPod line of products is the 800lb. gorilla on the market...there are just so many accessories available, plus you can get iTunes cards as Vinnie mentioned, plus iTunes is extremely easy to use on either a PC or Mac.

The new Microsoft Zune2 looks to be a really solid player. It is in line with the iPod nano and has a really nice interface. Most reviews have been cautiously positive; while most have said it doesn't beat an iPod, it is much-improved vs. the old version and, of course, it's made to work with Windows (XP and Vista). I'm not sure what program is used to organize the music and upload to the Zune but it's said to work really well.

I haven't seen the Sony player but have messed with the Samsung one and it's way cool. Sandisk also has a new player out.

Music could still be purchased from iTunes, then burned to a disc, then the disc can be re-ripped into any other program as an MP3 file. So that shouldn't be a deterrent for going non-Apple. But there will be limitations on accessories. The iPod really is the easiest to use and that's why it's so popular. I got my dad one a few Christmases ago and he uses it every single day. He's about to turn 65. Believe me, if he can use it, Apple really designed it well. ;)

Reply #6
Quote from: vinnietbird;192851
The younger people are all over these things.I may someday,but for now,the only time I need my music is when I'm driving,and I have a 10 disc changer,and the cd player in the dash,so,I'm good.

I can't say much I have a 4GB RGA Lyra, all 3 of my kids have a thumb drive type, I also have a Kenwood deck in the 94 that has a USB plug for a USB thumb drive so it will play the MP3's through the stereo. Then my wife and I have a media player on our phones. I love them all. No CD's or cassettes to scratch,loose,get stolen,skip. Then those thumb drives only take one AAA battery for 15hours of playing time. Much better than 2 AA for 1.5hours of play time form a CD player.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #7
I was thinking of getting an Ipod as i stated above which can be used in my car stereo as well.You really can't go wrong with an Ipod.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
Quote from: vinnietbird;192860
I was thinking of getting an Ipod as i stated above which can be used in my car stereo as well.You really can't go wrong with an Ipod.

Car stereo ipod's rule.

Reply #9
I've had a 30 gig iPod I bought new for 2 years now. I've never had any problems with it and it holds the charge fine after two years. I get about 12 hours of play out of it. I say go for it. It's a great player:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
i have an ipod that just died on me. i think it's the battery but i don't know. the harddrive died on me once too. it's not the first ipod but it is 4th gen. (old) keepin these suckers working can get expensive if you get bad luck with it like me.
It's always fun until someone loses an eye. then it's fun ya can't see.

-James Hetfield back when metallica was still making good music.

Reply #11
We have a two iPods (nano and touch) and a Zune30 in our house. I like them all. It just depends on your preference/usage. The Zune uses the Zune Marketplace software (which is pretty sweet) to sync/buy music-music videos. The part that sold me on the Zune over the iPod is the subscription service. All you can eat for a monthly fee.

I had a subscription service with Urge until they merged with Rhapsody. I don't really like Rhapsody so I bought the Zune. I've been very happy with it especially with the fimware updates after the second gen Zunes were released. Had they not done this I probably would of switch to the iPod...

You can also use the Zune Marketplace or the Zune itself to play music through the Xbox 360 while playing your games. My biggest complaint is the Xbox 360 Marketplace and the Zune Marketplace are not integrated thus your are not able to sync media back and forth, such as movies to the zune or subscription music to the 360. Hopefully that will add that in the future.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #12
Quote from: ipsd;192850
Yes an IPOD is the Apple Brand media player. I will warn you a buddy of mine has an IPOD. Every timewe he hooks it up to put some more tunes on there is makes you take the whole folder off then put the new tunes in the folder then drag the folder back onto the IPOD! I didn't like this. The media players I have you just drag and drop it onto the device.

if you have itunes you drag and drop media from itunes into the ipod folder and done. Very simple
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #13
I miss my old 30g, i got it when they just came out with the vids, and i couldnt get enough of it, till some moron stole it. Just got a 4g nano (2nd gen) off my friend for 40 bucks, I like it but i have over 3k songs on my comp and it doesnt hold near enough. Mostly cause I dont buy music, I'm getting all i can before the downloading is totally eliminated.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #14
Thanks for the help. I went to Circuit City yesterday & checked out all the options. The Sony media player is $119 vs. iPod $199. I'm told that the iPod is not as durable as the Sony. With that being said, he's getting the Sony! Now I'm on a search for a set of digital drum stick's that plug into this thing. I found them on the internet, but I can't seem to find them in any stores. So, Here I go again!!!