Skip to main content
Topic: left the fox behind and upgraded to MN12... (Read 3907 times) previous topic - next topic

left the fox behind and upgraded to MN12...

Reply #30
It runs without it?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #31
Quote from: bhazard;194220
It runs without it?

I would run in "limp home" mode. Mine came partially unplugged the other day and my car idled like  (but ran fine) until I figured out what it was.

As for MN12's... I used to own a 97 4.6 and while it had decent power there were quite a few things I didnt like about it. I could list them all but I'll just say I prefer the foxes hands down for many reasons.

BTW, checkout what happens when you hit 106 MPH... heheh...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #32
Quote from: Dogcharmer;194229
BTW, checkout what happens when you hit 106 MPH... heheh...

It jumps back down to idle. :burnout: Or atleast thats what mine did.

Reply #33
mine runs pretty  good with out it, but I will be putting a new one in after the holidays...

as for the 106 MPH.....  well, I want to keep this car, not give it to the government, and have a $10,000 fine.....  that is alot of upgrades.....

hahah, I think I just sold it already though... LOL.

Reply #34
BTW, checkout what happens when you hit 106 MPH...

You can most likely fix that the same way you can in an EEC-IV car with a speed limiter (Mark VII)
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #35
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;194238

as for the 106 MPH.....  well, I want to keep this car, not give it to the government, and have a $10,000 fine..... 

So you're saying that in Canada if you get clocked over 100 you might as well run because you're screwed anyway.

That sucks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #36
Quote from: Dogcharmer;194288
So you're saying that in Canada if you get clocked over 100 you might as well run because you're screwed anyway.

That sucks!

yeah, in Ontario at least.  anything 50kms over now is considered "street racing"  including squealing your tires....  Now they will take your car and liscence away for 7 day, and a Minimum of $2000 fine + court fees + inpound and towing fees....

Reply #37
Quote from: Dogcharmer;194288

That sucks!

lets not give him any ideas now
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #38
injoying the lack of low rpm torque yet? 4.6 tbirds need gears! I'm installing the torqueless wonder this spring....ahh, DOHC goodness
~1988 thunderbird~
In hibernation, waiting for spring.

Reply #39
actually compare to my 5.0L Cougar it will out pull it at any RPM....  and smokes the tires from a stop, by just stomping the gas, something my cougar cant do with out a brake torque.

Reply #40
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;194034
she's home!  and boy does it move for a stock 4.6L, cant wait to start with the modifications....

My 95 will beat your 94 in a drag race.................if I take the air out of your tires first ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #41
Pretty easy to smoke the tire with an open rear....they are solid mid to high 15-sec cars stock.  I don't like them because of the extra 400lbs, no extra interior room for the weight penalty, and you can't use much in the way of Mustang parts....not like you can in the foxes anyway.  You need 4.10 gears and a loose convertor...oh yeah, and a traction loc!
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #42
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;194390
Pretty easy to smoke the tire with an open rear....they are solid mid to high 15-sec cars stock.  I don't like them because of the extra 400lbs, no extra interior room for the weight penalty, and you can't use much in the way of Mustang parts....not like you can in the foxes anyway.  You need 4.10 gears and a loose convertor...oh yeah, and a traction loc!

no shiznit, but I said "tires  as in plural....  and what does a stock '88 XR-7 run?  yeah, that is why it feels faster then the cougar....  it is.  and yeah 4.10s and a shift kit are planned.

Reply #43
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;194422
and what does a stock '88 XR-7 run? 

i didnt technically run mine, but simulated dyno ran it. 16.6 if i recall. and thats with BBK headers, 2.5 offroad H-pipe, flowmaster 50's catback, underdrive pulleys, deleted air pump and H.O. intake and throttle body. VERY DEPRESSING. you just cant make any power with the cams they used in these cars. besides a supercharger, i did about all i could do to a stock engine and still only make 150-155 at the wheels.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #44
Quote from: grutinator;194432
i didnt technically run mine, but simulated dyno ran it. 16.6 if i recall. and thats with BBK headers, 2.5 offroad H-pipe, flowmaster 50's catback, underdrive pulleys, deleted air pump and H.O. intake and throttle body. VERY DEPRESSING. you just cant make any power with the cams they used in these cars. besides a supercharger, i did about all i could do to a stock engine and still only make 150-155 at the wheels.

If you didn't change the heads, I think you still were encountering the worst restriction.