Skip to main content
Topic: front brake upgrade!! help! (Read 1023 times) previous topic - next topic

front brake upgrade!! help!

my brother is buying my drilled/slotted rotors. what are the biggest calipers can i get?
this is what im getting?.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=024&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=370000102661&rd=1
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #1
Well how about telling us what you have on the car right now?  Think that might be useful info for someone trying to answer your question?

If you still have the stock 10" disks on the car, then that's it...no upgrades.

If you have swapped to the 11" set-up (spindles, etc from 5.0 Mustang or TC) then you can use the Lincoln/SVO calipers with the 73mm bore.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #2
that link goes to a set of rotors that excludes turbo cars....so yeah, looks like 10" rotors and no upgrades for you.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #3
I suggest you take some of that money that is being given to you for your engine and put it towards brake upgrades....

Otherwise your car will be like your avatar quote

"it's almost like a bullet...it doesn't stop until it hits something."
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
Yeah, definitely should upgrade to 11" discs up front.
It's terribly easy, and the difference is amazing.
You'll need Stang GT rotors, spindles, calipers, and bearings/seals.
You'll also need the brakes hoses for a 5.0 Stang car as well, but best to buy them new. I'd probably get new calipers too.
You can use TC rotors and calipers, basically the same, except the Mustang rotors don't have the ABS rings, which doesn't matter in your case anyway.

There's the question of an adaptor for one side, it's also mentioned on the link below.

With even more power under the hood, trust me, you'll want bigger brakes.
There's also a writeup on Coolcats, as well.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
Quote from: Chuck W;192051

Otherwise your car will be like your avatar quote

"it's almost like a bullet...it doesn't stop until it hits something."

I would like to add this... "...after going through a few other things first.

Definitely do the 11" upgrade, it's not very expensive.  J-yard spindles can be had for less than $50/pr.  New mustang struts are like $50/ea and rotors/calipers/bearings/hoses aren't that bad.  You don't have to upgrade the struts...but it's a good idea also...I've done this swap twice and used the stock struts...was unsatisfied both times...bought new replacement struts for a fox body 'stang and was very happy.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads