Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Thunderbird Components (Read 1665 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Thunderbird Components

I'm having a tough time finding the suspension and body components I'm looking for to fit my bird.  I was wondering if there is anywhere that sells parts like Tubular K members and A- arms that will fit a 1988 bird.  I've also heard that parts from mustangs will fit on them, I know most 5.0L components are interchangeable, but what about body parts like K members and sub-frame connectors?

Reply #1
Body components are very hard to find, maybe someone has some NOS parts.
Kmembers are somewhat interchangeable from Mustangs, some hole-enlarging is required.
The A-arms for an 86-88 are best sourced from an SN-95 Stang, as they use the same width Kmember.
Subframe connectors are rather rare for our cars, Stang ones may or may not work, depending on brand.
The a-arm thing is a bit of a challenge, as 86-88 have longer a arm than the older cars.
Basically, the 86-88 cars have what can be roughly considered the basic SN95 layout, as the rear end is the same width as well.
It can be confusing at first..
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #2
I'd recommed a K-member for a Fox mustang, not a SN-95, just make sure you get the Fox body style a-arms...more header clearance than the SN-95 style.  As for SFC's...there is someone making them specifically for our cars...I believe Chuck W...I could be wrong.  I used 60" long pieces of rectangular tubing and 1/8" steel plates on the bottome of the torque boxes in the rear...after welding everything up it was like a whole different car.

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #3
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;191144
The A-arms for an 86-88 are best sourced from an SN-95 Stang, as they use the same width Kmember.
 as 86-88 have longer a arm than the older cars.
Basically, the 86-88 cars have what can be roughly considered the basic SN95 layout, as the rear end is the same width as well.
It can be confusing at first..

NO...87-88, not 86-88.

I haven't done SFC's in a while.  They were inexpensive and everyone still bitched about the price, and they were a PITMFA to ship.  I sold off the seat braces/crossbars until I ran out. I "might" have more seat braces done, but I'm not too sure about it.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #4
Quote from: Chuck W;191343
NO...87-88, not 86-88.
You're right...I got the engine mount years instead...my bad. :D

On the K-member issue, would the shorter "Fox" style arms make a noticeable handling/turning difference, compared to the longer 87-88 style?

Be rather irrelevant for me, since mine will be just a weekend street romper, but handy to know all the same.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #5
The shorter Fox arms will limit the amount of negative camber available because you're pulling the spindle in 3/4". If you want to run more than .75 to 1 degree negative definitely get the SN/T-Bird length arms. Also with the longer arms you will reduce neg camber loss in corners.

The reason I know this is because I have the shorter arms and now want some longer ones.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #6
40bob.com lists the subframe connectors, but they are actually made by another guy that's from here in WV and he's the one that ships them out.

They're just straight box tubing (with caps on the ends), I guess the Thunderbird doesn't need any curves to fit the floorpan.

I have those subframes and some of Chuck's seat braces in my car. Love em :)

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip