Skip to main content
Topic: Killing Duraspark Boxes (Read 8104 times) previous topic - next topic

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Any Ideas why I might be doing this?  It's a 5.0 with duraspark. 

New TFI Coil, Dissy, Battery, Ignition Box.

I've done some testing with mixed results.  I did fry the first box.  This second one seems to be limping along.  It'll run then loose spark.  (Used timing light to tell when spark was lost)  However the module tested good at the parts store.  They even tested it 10 times to see if it was getting hot.

Constant 12 Volts to the ignition and coil. 

Hoping someone has had this problem before and can give me some direction.

Thanks.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #1
"TFI" coil?  Are you using an e-coil?

I thought the DuraSpark units prefered the old canister-type coils?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #2
It's actually interchangeable.  Ford and their infinite wisdom.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:

Project Thread with pics

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #3
Hrmmm.  Well I'm not sure.  I've never had that issue.  The old black '83 5.0 we had I swapped in a DS ignition (PO had installed a point dist :rolleyes:) and we never had a problem with it.  It was a used DS box even.  I only used canister coils on it though.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #4
Here is how it should be wired up.

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #5
Yeah, it's close to that except I'm not running the white wire for the timing retard.

Also I'm not using the ballast bypass because it's not nessesary with the TFI coil. 

I did ground the case out today.  Before it wasn't grounded because it uses a gound in the dissy.  Hopefully that will keep it from heating up alot.

Project Thread with pics

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #6
Those dsII modules need to be bolted down.  They need that ground always and forever.  Many ppl remove the plug and slap in a new module and let it just lay in there "for test purposes" only before they actually bolt it down.  Time marches on and its broke again.

as for the balast,, what are your reasons why you think you dont need it?

I think you do

in additon to softouch's supplied layout, below are a couple more for you.

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #7
I belive a TFI coil is a resistance coil.  However I'm starting to think it's not applicable with a DSII box. 

I fried the second box today.  I still have 2 more as backups.  I did buy a ballest and an oil filled coil today. 

Does it matter if I put the oil filled coil on the fender?  I've always seen them on the motor and I'm not sure if it's an issue.  If this module fries then I'm going to mount the ballast and oil coil.

Project Thread with pics

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #8
You need the ballast with DSII...

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #9
I am using the factory wiring harness from an 83 t-bird, still using the duraspark 2 ignition system. with a TFI stlye coil. will soon have an msd box helping my needs. The duraspark 2 ignition system is pretty straight foward. i had a few weeks of problems with "no start" till i relized that on the pigtail with 3 wires on the module, i only needed 2 of them (only the red and white, dunno about the green) but when i cut the green wire out, the car starts flawlessly everytime. even upgraded to the 94 and up 3.8 compact starter. fit first time, cranks every time. I do like "old school"  Good luck

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #10
Quote from: blu84302;191070
I belive a TFI coil is a resistance coil.  However I'm starting to think it's not applicable with a DSII box. 

I fried the second box today.  I still have 2 more as backups.  I did buy a ballest and an oil filled coil today. 

Does it matter if I put the oil filled coil on the fender?  I've always seen them on the motor and I'm not sure if it's an issue.  If this module fries then I'm going to mount the ballast and oil coil.

TFI coil with dsII box and setup on a 1986 300 6 in my 79 bronco, works great.  The catch is, the TFI runs at 12v.  The DSII coil steps down to 9 volts in run mode.  It's bypassed to 12v in the start position (key).  Therefor, the TFI coil should be running at 9v when in the run mode of the DSII.  Kinda like backwards compatible, lol. #1 killer on the DSII module is heat.  bolt it down with some 1/4" spacers between it and the fender for better airflow.  Is it possible you have the DSIII that was used for a short time?
1987 TC

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #11
Quote from: HAVI;191121
TFI coil with dsII box and setup on a 1986 300 6 in my 79 bronco, works great.  The catch is, the TFI runs at 12v.  The DSII coil steps down to 9 volts in run mode.  It's bypassed to 12v in the start position (key).  Therefor, the TFI coil should be running at 9v when in the run mode of the DSII.  Kinda like backwards compatible, lol. #1 killer on the DSII module is heat.  bolt it down with some 1/4" spacers between it and the fender for better airflow.  Is it possible you have the DSIII that was used for a short time?

roll out the red carpet havi in explaining the purpose of the ballast.

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #12
Alright.  I'm confused.  The TFI needs 12V.  The Oil Coil needs 9V.  So, I can still use the TFI coil, just put a ballast to it.

Project Thread with pics

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #13
no, the tfi can run at 9v, but it's made to run at 12v.  It's just a weaker spark.
1987 TC

Killing Duraspark Boxes

Reply #14
Quote from: softtouch;190989
Here is how it should be wired up.

See where it says "start bypass" below where it says "ballast resistor"?  That's where your 12v to start is.  In run mode, it goes through the ballast resistor to 9v.  Try to hook up a multimeter to the coil ends and see what the voltage is in start and in run.
1987 TC