Skip to main content
Topic: check engine light!!! (Read 1701 times) previous topic - next topic

check engine light!!!

when ever i got up a hill, or just give it gas whenever it comes on. but it goes on and off at randon times. when i go up hill, it just stays on. whats going on?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

check engine light!!!

Reply #1
Pull codes. Only the car knows for sure.
It's Gumby's fault.

check engine light!!!

Reply #2
Stay away from hills and don't give it any gas.... Problem solved.... Next...

Quote from: Tbird232ci;190448
Pull codes. Only the car knows for sure.

X2

check engine light!!!

Reply #3
I used to drive an 87 Cougar LS 3.8L CFI ("Cougar A")... and yeah, the best bet is to pull the codes (you can use that silly idiot light to do it if you don't have a code reader).

However, Cougar A used to do something else to me under the conditions you described, although it illustrated this through the Oil Pressure light... every time I went uphill, or give it gas, or even downhill (with my foot off the gas) that darned idiot light would illuminate (but even at random times aswell).

Does your Oil Pressure guage act up when your check engine light comes on?  If not, then I maintain (like Tbird232ci), start with the codes.  If yes, then I would suggest starting at the Oil Pressure.

If the oil pressure situation seems 'way-out-there' for you then, yeah, start with the codes.  As with Cougar A (once upon a time), it could be an EGR problem, especially at Normal Operating temperature and under the conditions you described.  The computer should be able to verify this condition.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

check engine light!!!

Reply #4
mine is the opposite. light goes out when you step on the gas. But  I already know what that problem is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

check engine light!!!

Reply #5
Quote from: daminc;191891
mine is the opposite. light goes out when you step on the gas. But  I already know what that problem is.

care to share your thoughts anyway?  I'd love to learn a thing or two.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

check engine light!!!

Reply #6
Quote from: daminc;191891

egr related it sounds, had same problem twice
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

check engine light!!!

Reply #7
sorry got side tracked

main bearing --I get 50 of oil pressure when the car starts and it slowly goes t about 1 or 2  at idle which tells the idiot light to turn on.
and when you step on the gas the pressure goes back up and the light goes off.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

check engine light!!!

Reply #8
Quote from: daminc;191957
sorry got side tracked

main bearing --I get 50 of oil pressure when the car starts and it slowly goes t about 1 or 2  at idle which tells the idiot light to turn on.
and when you step on the gas the pressure goes back up and the light goes off.

That's not the CHECK Engine light, it's the ENGINE light...

Get your facts straight...

check engine light!!!

Reply #9
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;192031
Get your facts straight...

?? I only have one idiot light in all my cats.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

check engine light!!!

Reply #10

sorry, you're probably right. I can't say for sure it was the check engine light or engine light. as you all know i pulled the car off the road about 3 years ago. and also havn't started it since early spring.
I'm currently working on it and can't start it to be sure.
I was going by memory of what it did for the last 2 years that i drove it. although i also drove it as a DD for about 16 years and don't ever remember both lights. but i could be wrong.
if thats the case than please disregard my earlier post. I don't want to give anyone bad info

Jerry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook