Skip to main content
Topic: Deep AOD pan - installed (pics) / Broken brake line :( (Read 3457 times) previous topic - next topic

Deep AOD pan - installed (pics) / Broken brake line :(

Hi!
I'm going to put deep pan in my T-bird during the next fluid change and I was wondering what kind of filter should I use? I noticed that 4x4 AOD transmissions have exactly the same filter shape and mouting points but come with extension tube.
Or maybe I should stick with stock 2WD AOD filter?
Thanks!

Reply #1
use the filter for the pan that you choose
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #2
sounds interesting,, why are you  doing it?

Reply #3
Why would you put a lower pan on it, I think its 2 inches lower to the ground if you come close to bottoming out your chancing ripping the pan off. If your looking for more trany fluid to keep it cooler go w/a trany cooler. Most ford trucks came w/coolers stock so take one of a junk one.

Reply #4
or you could buy a brand new cooler at auto zone for like $30.

Reply #5
or you could buy a brand new cooler at auto zone for like $30.

...except he's in the country Poland... ;)

Reply #6
Quote from: EricCoolCats;190760
...except he's in the country Poland... ;)

everytime i see Shevretti on here, i think to myself,,
what are we doing to help keep a cougar up and running in Poland?

where do you get your parts man?  How is the body on that thing?

Reply #7
Hello!
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. There are few reasons I'd like to install the Trick Flow aluminium pan in my T-bird: it has a drain plug (makes fluid/filter changes less messy job - guess it's just a bad luck, but every time I change tranny fluid at least quart usually ends up on my clothes :hick:), it's all aluminium so it tranfers heat better (it's also finned so it should cool down the fluid well), it's a little deeper (again - lower temp in the transmission). Now the stupid reasons: I always wanted a cool looking tranny pan and I you know how is it when you simply want to add something special to your car - not all the regular stuff like oil, fluids, brake, suspension components etc. :D

Innes mentioned that it's risky becouse I may end up ripping the pan off - with those very deep pans that's possible for sure, but in this case pan will be just less than 1/2'' lower:
-AOD pan is ~32cm x 28cm that gives 896 sq. cm
-1  quart is 946 cu. cm so the new pan will be 1.05cm deeper (946cu. cm / 896 sq. cm = 1.05cm)
-1/2'' is 12.7mm, so 10.5mm will be barely noticable difference in pan depth
Sorry for messing up Imperial and Metric units, but I'm used to metric that's why it was easier for me to count.

After measuring all the things it turned out that I should stick with regular AOD filter. I've also done some research and the manufacturers of 1 quart bigger AOD pans doesn't mention need of different filter.

Reply #8
Quote from: jcassity;190790
everytime i see Shevretti on here, i think to myself,,
what are we doing to help keep a cougar up and running in Poland?

where do you get your parts man?  How is the body on that thing?

My T-bird is in perfect condition as for 21 years old car that's never been painted except right fender which has a few rust spots (it was scratched there and probably wasn't fixed well). It looks decent underneath becouse somebody did a great rust prevetive coating in Germany probably in the 80's. In was imported to Germany by American soldier who was working in US base in Hamburg. It was shipped with US army airplane so it never sat in salty container on the ocean liner (most US cars get badly rusted in a few years after beeing shipped this way - salt with moisture gets everywhere).
Now it has 150k miles on it and runs great (except that strange sound after one oil change that was gone after 200 miles - didn't happen after next oil change and I still dunno what was it - one old mechanic who used a stetoscope to hear the sounds said it was a valvetrain sound). That was last year and this year I found something nice - a 3.8 V6 along with AOD from a totalled '87 Cougar again in Germany - I thought - that's what I need - a spare engine just in case. So I took a van and brought it home (the car already went to the crusher before I came for the engine, so I couldn't take other stuff from it). That's sad becouse the car was still driveable, but with badly bent subframes.
Here are some pics of the set I got:

I know most forum members don't like the 3.8 but I think it's a nice engine as for Europe. Not a performance one, but it sounds nice and gets pretty good gas mileage. I know that 5.0 V8 is better for sure, but it's a different reality here. Engine conversion from 3.8 to 5.0 will be a hard job here. I can't get anything from a junk yard or parts store, I have to wait a week of so and pay a lot for shipping of heavy parts from US, so a spare engine and tranny exactly the same as the one in my car is just parfect.
As for the parts, I ussualy get them on RockAuto when I need something fast or eBay when I need something cheap :) Internet is a great thing for me.  I have many friends in US so I sometimes ask them for help getting some stuff. I know a guy who works in AutoZone, so if I need a big set of parts for some bigger repairs I ask him to get me some parts a few months before I start the job :)
My adventure with american cars started in year 2000 when I got my 1975 Granada Ghia. I was really happy when I got it but than I thought - where I'll get parts for it? I was a LOVEfords member than and that's where I met many people who showed me some websites, helped to get some stuff from eBay when PayPal wasn't available here or seller wouldn't ship outside US. Now I often get phone calls from some people who ask me if I could help them to get some parts for their American cars :D
Now having an american car is something normal for me. I'm not sure if I'd like to have any other car than the one made in USA. I think that the next car I'd like to buy is 1997/98 Mark VIII (looks like next generation T-bird should look like for me). I got the T-bird as a daily driver, but now it's slowly becoming a rare classic here, so I think it needs to rest more and it will be another cool weekend driver in the future when I'll find a nice Mark VIII.

Here are some pics of my three cars:

Hope my story was readable and wasn't too boring ;)

Reply #9
Good find on the other 3.8 and AOD!
Maybe some soldier will bring over a TC, then fall in love with a BMW, and sell the TC to you! ;)
Nice cars!
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #10
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Nothing else to say for a man in Poland with patients to play with these cars.
Like to shack your hand

Reply #11
listen,
i have a whole 3.8 in the for sale section here and its free.  there is a fella out of Mass that is attempting to drive down and get it but i have not heard back from him in a few days. 

To get you some perfect spare parts and a couple couple computers,, ill break down this 3.8 of mine and ship it one piece at a time if you want.  You will have to pay for the shipping and thats it.

Alos,, pm me with our mailing address so i can burn you a copy of the 87 EVTM manual. 

You deserve it

Reply #12
BRAVO....

BTW I used to have a 2dr Granada similar to yours... EX wife got it... :(

Reply #13
Thanks Innes! I really like challenges like that and it's nice to drive a boat between canoes here :D

jcassity, that would be great! If it's not a problem for you to keep that engine and part it out I'd be very thankful. Have you rebuilt the distributor in it lately, I think that mine may need some attention soon.

TurboCoupe50, was it a V8 Granada? My black 2-door will be a nice sleeper with that Tremec tranny and 351W (or maybe a 5.0 HO) :D

Reply #14
its always interesting to me to hear about people fixing and driving american made cars in other countries
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost