Skip to main content
Topic: fuel pump / return lines ? (Read 673 times) previous topic - next topic

fuel pump / return lines ?

I have an 84 tbird with central fuel injection.(cfi)
It will soon be running a 4v carb. The car still has the original in tank low pressure fuel pump,the pump is rated at 6-8 psi and 42gallons per hour. This sytem has a return line from the cfi to the tank.
I am going to run new fuel lines.
My question is do i need to have the fuel return line to the tank??

I did run the car with the return line temporarily plugged and the fuel pump did not change its pitch and the fuel supply pressure stayed at 7psi.
I guess my concern is that if the pump is not circulating fuel through the system it will burn itself out?  This pump was designed to run at 42gph and with no return line that changes to a few gph. Did anyone ever do this conversion?

Reply #1
Ok - Heres what I am doing. i am going to just run 3/8 inch supply line to carb and eliminate the return line.
Dont suspect any problems with that?

fuel pump return line

Reply #2
You may want to rethink dead-heading the stock pump.  Using the stock lines with a fuel pressure regulator (with a by-pass for the return line), is a simple way to accomplish your carb conversion.  If your engine is making any power, upgrading your fuel pump could be advantagous.  The stock one won't support much power.

Reply #3
zzz