Skip to main content
Topic: I have got a confession ! (Read 2895 times) previous topic - next topic

I have got a confession !

Well, here it is, I have always been a diehard Ford V8 fan, Big Block small block, whatever as long as it had 8 cylinders.

I got to say this 2.3 Turbo 4 cylinder is just making me smile....ALOT!!

Now I didnt go all hog wild on "go fast parts", well maybe I did a little but not like some of the Diehard SVO guys. But i have got to say this car is ridiculous. For example when I roll to a start and nail it the wheels break loose, this of course is running at 20PSI. But it also breaks loose in 2nd and 3rd when I am cruising. It gets a little sideways sometimes without even trying. Now if I get some sticky rubber I think I might break something.

To further show my new found love of the Turbo 4, I blew away a late model GT Mustang Probably like an 04 or 05. Dont know if it was modded or not but he challenged me. I was like 2 car lengths ahead of him at the start and he never could catch me till the next light. He went left and flashed me a big smile and a nod.

So now I think I will look for something else to throw this other 2.3l I have in.

Just thought I would share......who needs the other half :evilgrin:
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

Reply #1
Quote from: chri85tc;189458
Well, here it is, I have always been a diehard Ford V8 fan, Big Block small block, whatever as long as it had 8 cylinders.

I got to say this 2.3 Turbo 4 cylinder is just making me smile....ALOT!!

Now I didnt go all hog wild on "go fast parts", well maybe I did a little but not like some of the Diehard SVO guys. But i have got to say this car is ridiculous. For example when I roll to a start and nail it the wheels break loose, this of course is running at 20PSI. But it also breaks loose in 2nd and 3rd when I am cruising. It gets a little sideways sometimes without even trying. Now if I get some sticky rubber I think I might break something.

To further show my new found love of the Turbo 4, I blew away a late model GT Mustang Probably like an 04 or 05. Dont know if it was modded or not but he challenged me. I was like 2 car lengths ahead of him at the start and he never could catch me till the next light. He went left and flashed me a big smile and a nod.

So now I think I will look for something else to throw this other 2.3l I have in.

Just thought I would share......who needs the other half :evilgrin:

Congrats
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #2
They are awesome when they are running right... but when they are not... it's like BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) right when your finishing some huge project just under the deadline and never hitting save.

I've always wanted to put a 2.3T in an SN-95 body... V6 of course. :)
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #3
I wanted to put a 2.3L SVO into a Mark 7 but has that been done before?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #4
Im pretty much the same way. I used to always trash talk 4 cylinders, and how they're a waste of time to build. I always loved the Turbo Coupes, but never cared for the 4 cylinder. I got my gray car, and the thing felt so much faster, handled so much better, and had a 5-speed. I drove it for a little bit, did some small mods, and got hooked.

Whats worse is having a pile of go-fast parts, and not being able to use them yet.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Ahh, I see we have another one! YEAH. These ford 2.3 4banger turbo setup is something else. All that power and tire spinning fun from 4 little cylinders. It is the shiznit.Also when cruising at highway speeds we still get 4 banger gas mileage. I'll take that over a a V8 any day when gas is as high as it is now.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #6
Chris, I'm ready for a ride before winter really sets in!

Jim

Reply #7
Well I think I could make a Pottstown Run. Time to check out the 306.

Air out the Coupe a little bit. :)
1985 Thunderbird TC
2.3l .03 over,Ported and polished Head and E6 Manifold, LA3, T3/T4 Hybrid Turbo, Stinger FMIC, Forge BOV, Full 3" Exhaust, Essy Timing Gears & UDP's, BBK 255lph Fuel Pump, Kirban AFPR, Kirban Short Shifter, K&N Cone, Forced4 VC Vent Kit, PA Performance 3g Alternator, Energy Suspension Bushings throughout, CHE LCA's, SFC's [/LEFT]

Reply #8
Chris,

Have you dyno'd your car?  Looks like you've done all the "right" things (what I'd call advanced basic upgrades).  I'd be interested in what the performance stats are at this point, 0-60, 0-100, top speed, etc.

Oh yeah, I love that Med Regatta Blue.

Thanks
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
Quote from: chri85tc;189458
Just thought I would share......who needs the other half

Oooh! Oooh! Me! Me!

I do. :evilgrin: :evilgrin: Haha Im sorry guys...someone's gotta be the a-hole...might as well be me.

Actually even looking at the stock specs I was really impressed...190 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque. Anything that makes more torque than horsepower makes me smile.

But.....unfortunately I cannot help myself...I must see those two valvecovers pointing almost skyward...and hear that rumble you get only in one place.

Have fun! Always nice to be open-minded. Don't be like me. Im not open-minded so I will burn in hell. :giggle:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #10
Shhhh Dont tell anyone but I have 2 other V8 Vehicles. :)

And no I havent had it Dyno'd yet but that is on the agenda !
1985 Thunderbird TC

Reply #11
One time when im headed to PA we need to hook up so I can see that beauty!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #12
oh man you guys are getting my excited about getting my XR7 running, 64,000 miles stock, runs better each time i start it!

i've never ridden/drove it and i cant wait until spring when i can test it out

Reply #13
So much for that ride before the salt hit the roads. We will have to meet up in the spring!
Jim

Reply #14
A Mark VII is like 3800lbs I doubt a 2.3t would do too good in that.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles