Skip to main content
Topic: What you didn't know about Auto Parts brands... (Read 4216 times) previous topic - next topic

What you didn't know about Auto Parts brands...

Federal-Mogul owns: Fel-Pro, Federal-Mogul (duh), Champion, Carter, Moog, Sealed Power, and Speed-Pro
That means all Fel-Pro and Federal-Mogul gaskets are one and the same, except for the box and the part #.

Honeywell owns: Autolite, Motorcraft (plugs, wires, and filters), Fram, Prestone, Bendix
Yes, this means your Ford Motorcraft air and oil filters are FRAM and your plugs and wires are Autolite!

Other spark plugs: NGK owns NGK, Bosch owns Bosch

B&M owns: B&M Shifters (duh), Hurst Shifters (since early 2006), McLeod clutches

Prestolite owns: Prestolite wires, Mr. Gasket, Accel, Hays, Lakewood, Mallory, Jacobs
This means that the same company manufacturers Accel, Mallory, and Jacobs Ignitions. They step up in quality in that order (Accel=cheap, Mallory=middle, Jacobs=$$$).

Summit Racing owns Trick Flow, well, kinda. They own majority control, but not the whole company. It's like that for tax reasons only though. It's also not advertised or really discussed.

Holley owns: Holley carbs (duh), NOS (nitrous), Weiand, Lunati, Earl's, Hooker Headers, and Flowtech.

Edelbrock owns: Edelbrock. Do they really need anything else? Well, they own Russell too.

COMP owns: Comp Cams (duh), TCI, ZEX, RHS, F.A.S.T., and AETC.

Mikronite owns: Mikronite (duh), Crane Cams (very recently)

I hope that clears some things up...

Reply #1
Sorry...don't buy it.

Prove it....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #2
Knew about Federal-Mogul, Prestolite, B&M, Holley and Summit, but I didn't know about Honeywell (I don't care about the rest).
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #3
Chuck,

This is according to their yearly financial statements, available on the parent companies website (except the Summit-Trick Flow). Most of the parent companies openly advertise which brands they do own (Holley for example). So, are there any in particular you don't believe?

Reply #4
 nice to know!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #5
Owning the company does not mean the parts are identical...

I could give a rat's ass about "financial statements"....show me engineering specs...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #7
It does when they're manufactured side-by-side on the same machines. When I order Motorcraft plugs I have to tell them to make sure they're branded Motorcraft instead of Autolite (bulk buy, no boxes). Grab a heat range tester and see for yourself.

The only other claim I made to identical parts was the Fel-Pro/Federal Mogul gaskets, and Federal-Mogul openly admits it. Well over 50% of their gaskets are even stamped with both part #s and only have a packaging difference (case in point the 8993 head gasket for 2.3's. Fel-Pro part #8993, Federal-Mogul part #FM8993).

And some I forgot;
NAPA Gold filters = made by WIX

Dana owns: Dana and Victor-Reinz

Reply #8
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;187938

Yes, this means your Ford Motorcraft air and oil filters are FRAM...

Uh...
I doubt it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
your Ford Motorcraft oil filters are FRAM

Wrong.  Purolator.  http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

I've compared them very recently.  STILL Purolator.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #10
Hmm, Honeywell has the contract. Maybe they haven't gotten the whole line? I can't get a firm part # list from them yet...

And yes, the filters have been Purolator for quite some time.

Reply #11
EDIT:

I read the contract wrong, Honeywell did NOT get Ford's contract for filters (due to Purolator's ongoing contract) but they did rather get the thermostat contract.

So Motorcraft:
Filters = Purolator
Spark Plugs/Wires = Autolite
Thermostats = Prestone

Reply #12
honestly, i was ready to go rip my motorcraft oil filter off:shakeass:
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Reply #13
ok so if i swapped my ford racing plug wires to STEEDA would they be STEEDA wires or still autolites?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #14
This info isn't so new. Maybe you guys need to look at the back of the box that your parts come in. I've been working in the auto parts business for about 5yrs. There is more of this stuff than you think of. Trust me guys for a 1yr and a half I worked buying out parts stores and converting them into the company that I work for. I was amazed at the things we did. We would buy there old stock take it back to the warehouse and rebox it to our brand. I did this with just about any part you can think of. We would buy out a NAPA and there standard/echlin stuff would get boxed to Borg warner and our house brand. When you work in the parts business you really find out about what parts are made by who. So this info isn't so new. Read the back of the box or can you'll be amazed at who makes what.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird