Skip to main content
Topic: dumb ass question.. (Read 1880 times) previous topic - next topic

dumb ass question..

Which I already know the answer to, but I am bored and want to see what you guys think....

I am installing the Cobra intake on the cougar this weekend, :shakeass: and was wondering if I should add an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator.  I already plan to do it down the road, but to save a bit of coin, :hick: (with christmas around the corner and all....)  I am going to run it with the stock FPR.....  Shouldn't have any issues right? :burnout:  I will test the FP and install the Air/fuel gauge, before I get on it hard to make sure it isn't leaning out too much.

dumb ass question..

Reply #1
I've been running the stock fpr and I've got a Cobra intake and then some ;)

dumb ass question..

Reply #2
I got my aeromotive one off ebay for like, $60.

AND its like a $200  reg.

Ebay FTW!

dumb ass question..

Reply #3
It will be fine ron.

dumb ass question..

Reply #4
WoW!

That is a dumb-ass question!

lol - just kidding of course, AFPR can help for WOT AFR adjustment, but should NOT be required if your air meter is properly calibrated.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

dumb ass question..

Reply #5
Pffff I'm running my combo on stock HO injectors with no problem. I'm even throwing on the GT40 intake without bumping fuel pressure. The stock HO injectors will handle 285-290 fwhp before a pressure increase is needed.

BTW you're putting the intake on a HO right? It won't make much of a difference on a SO ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

dumb ass question..

Reply #6
Quote from: thunderjet302;187924

BTW you're putting the intake on a HO right? It won't make much of a difference on a SO ;)

nope it will go on a SO for now, mainly for looks.  And it is speed density.  And I know it wont do much on the SO, Like I said though, right now I just want the nice shiny looks, as I am sick of my py looking stock intake...  thanks guys.

dumb ass question..

Reply #7
mmmmm, shiny! :hick:

dumb ass question..

Reply #8
Here’s some of my advice for your cougar intake on your cobra.
Trying to save money w/a FPR I read this some where that if you tap down on it w/a socket and a hammer (denting it) you bump up the pressure just remember a little at a time cause there’s no revering it and have a back-up if it all goes wrong.
I know it sound dumb but it’s up to you I read it some where and always wondered.
So you wanna be my ginnie pig

dumb ass question..

Reply #9
Quote from: Innes;188019

So you wanna be my ginnie pig

hahah no!  LOL.  as it is if the speed density doesn't like it, it will force my hand and I will have to throw the HO in it that is sitting on my shop floor.....

dumb ass question..

Reply #10
Don't be tapping down on anything!!!
If you do that you'll ruin the diaphram.
If you simply unplug it you'll gain about 10psi all the time,not just at wot but on a fairly stock so it's not necessary.

dumb ass question..

Reply #11
Quote from: Dominator
If you simply unplug it you'll gain about 10psi all the time,not just at wot but on a fairly stock so it's not necessary.

I wouldn't do that.  Here's why:
This modification has exactly the opposite of the desired effect: It increases the effective idle fuel pressure without raising the fuel pressure at WOT. At best, the EEC-IV will eventually compensate for this blunder under closed-loop operation, but will never notice it at WOT. At worst, the EEC will adjust the mixture at *all* vacuum levels to correspond with the observed fuel delivery during part-throttle, high-vacuum operation, resulting in a leanout at WOT.

That's from here:  http://www.sb.net/wkeller/mustangs-faq/part-1.html

You don't NEED the regulator yet.  You can wait on it.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

dumb ass question..

Reply #12
Quote from: V8Demon;188032
I wouldn't do that.  Here's why:

That's from here:  http://www.sb.net/wkeller/mustangs-faq/part-1.html

You don't NEED the regulator yet.  You can wait on it.

Exactly - no back-yard mechanic tricks here - do it the right way!

dumb ass question..

Reply #13
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;188024
hahah no!  LOL.  as it is if the speed density doesn't like it, it will force my hand and I will have to throw the HO in it that is sitting on my shop floor.....

I'm running a HO SD car with a cam in it no prob. You will be FINE ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

dumb ass question..

Reply #14
Yea that's what i was getting at,no need to puncture it as it will be fine anyways.
Was just stating that if someone had this dumb idea,rather than mess up the regulator just unplug it.
Also the fuel pressure at wot is not raised per say unless it's under boost pressure.
The regulator sees vacspooge and sets the pressure 10psi lower than when at wot(no vacspooge)so disconnecting the vac source would richen it up down low but it would stay the same at wot.