Skip to main content
Topic: what can i do? towards MPG :) (Read 1821 times) previous topic - next topic

what can i do? towards MPG :)

i know everybody is going for performance to increase HP and torque, i just wanted to know what can i do , performance wise , to increase MPG to the max, without touching the tranny!

Re: what can i do? towards MPG :)

Reply #1
For a 3.8. Dual exhaust is about the only thing you can do. I did that to mine and I got a small increase in mileage.

Reply #2
remove/bypass the smog pump.  surprisenly there was a noticeable highway mpg increase.  i can sometimes get over 30 mpg doin 75-80 for a few hours.  pretty nice  :)

but only 9 in the city

Reply #3
interesting.....only 9....thats crazy dookie..........

the exhaust....how much shud i go for like size wise......and also i want an exhaust system that isnt loud, because im gonna be mostly driving on the highway, trying to keep it as quiet as possible......what do u think lowcat?....or does anyone have any suggestions....shud i keep the stock system?.....any advice will be gladly appreciated since i just bought her !

Reply #4
If you tune up your vehicle first... new plugs and wires.  Also new filters, PCV, breather filter and air filter...  Just the basics.  I also recommend the "RESTORE" brand six cylinder formula with the oil change.  Get some efficency back.  It's about making it run good really... and keepin your foot off the gas!
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #5
if you do put dual Exhaust and decide to do the True do not go with the 2.25 inch way to big for a stock motor. and  will kill your bottom end power trust me i know(learned from that mistake) and using the stank Hpipe sounds good . but isnt practical. unless you have a floor shift and a V8. do a custome job 2 inch all the way back. two cats (none high flow) the 3.8 likes back pressure and some stock style s to be quiet and some more pressure. you should be set.  if you want you could upgrade the gears in ur 7.5 but since ur gonna be on the highway. i thinkk 3.73 may be to steep for you car and could wear it out with the Rpms. at a constant. i know mine was at about 2k at 65-75ish not to bad.

Good luck  and the tune up is a great idea. get some nice auto lights
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

Reply #6
Quote from: Dookie86
remove/bypass the smog pump.  surprisenly there was a noticeable highway mpg increase.  i can sometimes get over 30 mpg doin 75-80 for a few hours.  pretty nice  :)

but only 9 in the city

you need a tuneup bud. I get at the least 15mpg, and that's city driving+hauling ass everywhere

Reply #7
Quote from: blackwidow

the exhaust....how much shud i go for like size wise......and also i want an exhaust system that isnt loud, because im gonna be mostly driving on the highway, trying to keep it as quiet as possible......what do u think lowcat?....or does anyone have any suggestions....shud i keep the stock system?.....any advice will be gladly appreciated since i just bought her !

I recommend just stock 2" dual exhaust for an 88 tbird or cougar for 4 reasons
1.)An h-pipe or something like that is overkill for a 3.8
2.)The stock dual setup leaves you with enough backpressure to run right
3.)If you install it yourself it is much cheaper then a custom dual exhaust.(I paid about $100 for 88 cougar tail pipes and intermediate pipe.)
4.)With dynomax ultra flow lers it sounds pretty good for a v6.(That is what I have and the sound is good. At highway you can barely hear it but during acceleration you can hear it with no problem.)

I had the lers laying around so to put dual exhaust on my cougar cost me about $110 all together. I went from an average of about 23 mpg to 24.7 mpg after this.

Reply #8
Thanks alot guys for the idea and help! i think im gonna do that :) dual all through!