Skip to main content
Topic: Holley 1850 and AOD? (Read 1679 times) previous topic - next topic

Holley 1850 and AOD?

Well, I want to hook the the TV cable and I have a Holley 1850 with a kickdown shaft in it. 

Does anyone else have this setup?  I called Holley and they said they don't support the hookup to an AOD.  So does anyone have any suggestions other than buying more stuff.  I really want to get this project done this weekend.  Any pics of your setup would be great.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Holley 1850 and AOD?

Reply #1
Try Lokar...they have cables for AOD to carb setups
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Holley 1850 and AOD?

Reply #2
Well a post from masterblaster helped me out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, first let's use the proper terminology.

The AOD does not have a kickdown lever, cable or linkage.
(I don't care what Lokar calls theirs)
It does have a TV (Throttle Valve) lever, cable or linkage.

A "kickdown" works by doing nothing until the throttle is at a certain point, then basically triggering a valve that forces the trans to downshift. The speed range where the downshift is permitted is usually controlled by a vacuum modulator.

The TV system works by continuously varying the internal oil pressure in the trans based on where the throttle happens to be, along with the governor in the tail of the trans.

If your TV cable doesn't even start moving until you're part-way (1/4 to 1/2) into the gas, then it's the same as running with the cable disconnected, as talked about in many other threads that included warnings of transmissions destroyed in less than 10 miles.

That shuddering was likely the clutches slipping and sliding as they tried to self-destruct.

So now what i'm looking for is pics of a 5.0 cfi linkage. (stock)  or how you've hooked up a holley to the tv rod.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:

Project Thread with pics

Holley 1850 and AOD?

Reply #3
betcha wish ya had the 83 there still dontcha?

that one peg  behind the main throttle peice is for the kickdown via the cat

Holley 1850 and AOD?

Reply #4
I  agree with the guy about the  TV  (on the AOD ). I a 1983 t-bird with a 302 and an AOD in it.And the TV rod is original to the car.

Holley 1850 and AOD?

Reply #5
Well folks, could you please explain a little more where the hookup is. 

Blackjack I don't know which point you're talking about.

Project Thread with pics

Holley 1850 and AOD?

Reply #6
heres what i did to my truck when i put the 500 holley on it. i used a holley choke cable bracket to attach the tv rod to the linkage heres a couple of pics
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress