Skip to main content
Topic: what spark plugs should i get? (Read 3522 times) previous topic - next topic

what spark plugs should i get?

Reply #15
ok, thanks for your help!
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #16
From what I know by ordering parts... Autolite and Motorcraft are not only one and the same, but the specs are identical too. Only difference is the box and part #...

Federal-Mogul = Champion (Yes, Federal-Mogul OWNS Fel-Pro, the gaskets are also one and the same)

Reply #17
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;187917
From what I know by ordering parts... Autolite and Motorcraft are not only one and the same, but the specs are identical too. Only difference is the box and part #...

I though so ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #18
hey after you put about 50 miles on it . driving hard and normal. let the car cool down then remove the spark plugs , keeping them in order to each cyl, see how they are burning. or fowling. 50 miles should be enough to see.

Reply #19
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;187917
Anecdotal information that suggests they aren't the same. [Post #24]

Do you have any information that leads you to believe they're the identical?

Reply #20
When I place my Motorcraft orders from Ford, it comes from Autolite. Yes, filters too. They've had the exclusive contract for a few years now...

(Autolite makes Motorcraft plugs, plug wires, and Fram makes the air and oil filters, Fram and Autolite are both owned by Honeywell who also owns Prestone and Bendix)

As for the identical part, we've run the cross-over part #'s through the heat-range meter and the old eye-ball test. They are identical except for the part # on the side on at least 12 different ones. I would place a very safe bet that they are all identical.

Reply #21
Autolite manufactures the Motorcraft spark plugs. However, that does not mean they are one in the same. They could have different specifications.

Saying they are the same is conjecture.
Saying they are different is also conjecture.

Reply #22
The 12+ part #s I've tested on a heat range measurer were identical. When I order in bulk (no boxes) I have to specify which brand I want on the plug. Honeywell admits to making them both on the same machines at the same time. It all points to identical from my point-of-view...

It's all pointless anyways though as NEITHER brand has a very good reputation where performance and/or durability is concerned (yes, I know Autolite makes the Top Fuel/Funny Car plugs, which have jack squat to do with real car plugs).

Reply #23
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;187968
Honeywell admits to making them both on the same machines at the same time. It all points to identical from my point-of-view...

Where do they admit to that?

Reply #24
E-mail Honeywell, they will tell you straight out. Check out some trade publications as well. They tout meeting Ford's stringent engineering standards with no changes to their designs.

Reply #25
I remember a while back (about 15 years ago) when autolite plugs were hit and miss. I think it was autolite
for every set i would buy, at least 1 plug was bad out of the package.
or damaged when shipped to the store.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #26
I tell you to go at it in this order
NGK
autolite
motorcraft
A/c

I wouldn't even try a champion or a Bosch. I have my reasons.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #27
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;187979
E-mail Honeywell, they will tell you straight out.

I called up Autolite (1.800.890.2075) and talked to a technical support agent. He stated they were "the same except for the ink on the porcelain".

Reply #28
Quote from: JeremyB;188071
  He stated they were "the same except for the ink on the porcelain".

-i would say it to if you'd buy my plugs.  Honeywell may well be one of the Motorcraft suppiers, but saying they are "the same", is like saying an apple is the same as an orange......does anyone think Ford Motor Co. would let someone use their design and engineering specs for a product and let it be sold for LESS at the corner Wal-mart???  also there is the issue of propriatary rights on those things.  anyone that ever owned a SHO could spin yarns all day over spark plugs that were claimed to be the same as a Motorcraft plug for those engines.  as before, a manufacturer may be a "contractual suppiler" for Motorcraft, but that has no bearing upon the construction of the part....
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #29
Quote from: shorangerbird;188079
-i would say it to if you'd buy my plugs. 

Having a company falsely represent your product as equal to another is grounds for a lawsuit. I doubt that they'd put their contract in peril to do so.