Skip to main content
Topic: what spark plugs should i get? (Read 3943 times) previous topic - next topic

what spark plugs should i get?

Reply #30
Except Autolite makes 100% of Motorcraft plugs...

And yes, they do sell them for less. The higher price of Motorcraft is just for the "name". This is why it's not "advertised" outside of trade publications and vendors.

Reply #31
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;188081
Except Autolite makes 100% of Motorcraft plugs....

as stated by whom???  i have testament that China Spark Plug Manufacturer  has a contract with Ford to make Motorcraft plugs also....AND without any specs or performance proof to back it up,  you'll have a hard time convinceing me otherwise.  i've been doing Ford parts for over 15 years and just like "my car is faster than yours", until you show me proof, its hearsay....  PLEASE SEE THREAD IN GENERAL 'BIRD/COUGAR FORUM......
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #32
I dunno I put Autolites in or Motorcrafts and the car runs exactly the same :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #33
um i have a question. 32VFOXBIRD told me that NGK's TR55-1 fits my head, but the only ones i can find are the TR55IX iranium that cost $6 a plug. will these work?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #34
Order the standard TR55-1's. The platinums will fail quickly under any sort of out-of-tune from the motor.

Reply #35
where else can i buy those at?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Reply #36
NAPA, CSK, Schuck's, AutoZone, CarQuest, Baxter's, etc.

Reply #37
NGK's may be great in the 2.3's, but I've tried them in both SO and HO 5.0's and strongly dislike them...I run autolite 25's in HO applications and they are the best I've tried yet...In the summer months (above 60*), you can run autolite AR133's and you'll feel a seat of the pants difference in an HO....not to mention you can order them from Advance Auto for like $21 for a set of 8.  There is a reason my old 'Bird ran 14.30's with a stone stock HO, speed density ECU, and an AOD into a 20+ mph headwind.  My trap speed on those runs were showing that I had the power to run faster too.

For the track, I wouldn't run anything other than AR133's or modified Autolite 24's.  Some guys have claimed 20hp improvements on an engine dyno with the AR133's, I can't vouch for the accuracy of that, but you can definitely feel it.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #38
my 5.0 HO runs so much better now that I got the ford racing wires, and NGK's as told to by aero. It smoothed out the idle, throttle response increased, and thats with a low fuel pressure because of leaky fuel lines.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #39
NGK's, period.

Glad you like them boss ;)

Reply #40
Quote from: daboss351;188281
my 5.0 HO runs so much better now that I got the ford racing wires, and NGK's as told to by aero. It smoothed out the idle, throttle response increased, and thats with a low fuel pressure because of leaky fuel lines.

if you have old py plugs and wires on there and do a tune-up, regardless of brand, it will smooth out the idle and run better. NAPA, motorcraft, ngk, whatever it is, it will work better then worn out ones.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #41
i got Bosch right now but i am switch to NGK TR6s to go with my Supercharger. if you lived anywhere close to me you can have my Bosch spark plugs for FREE they work ok but got i think around 9,000 miles on them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #42
Boss, did you get the 9mm blue ford racing spark plug wires?
ok, thanks for the info!

Reply #43
Yep I sure did! Awesome product, perfect fit, all the connections came pre greased, no little packet of grease. Well worth it! They look good too.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #44
The 9mm plug wires are not bad for the price and work well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily: