Skip to main content
Topic: recall for 1988 tbirds? (Read 3147 times) previous topic - next topic

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #15
OK...show us then. ;) I'll do the same with my cars.

The cowl panel theoretically was the same, but there were minor changes. The 1983-86 windshield panel, underneath the wipers, had 2 small bolts holding the panel on at the bottom. In 1987 those holes weren't there anymore. Since the 1983 washer squirters were different there may have been a modified bolt pattern for 1983 only. I've noticed just little things here and there, nothing major, but apparently enough to warrant a new part number when that happened.

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #16
OK, some pics...I was mistaken, the ink stamp was on the strut tower. I knew there was a stamp in there somewhere. :) Anyway...

The '84, top of the cowl:

The '84, behind the motor. Beneath the lip on the cowl piece is a part number stamped in: 4DB54. Guessing the first 4 indicates 1984. There's also a date stamp to the left:

The '84, ink stamp on the strut tower:

The '86, top of the cowl (E6LB):

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #17
That's a Lincoln casting number on the 86 cowl. I guess the Cougars shared cowls with the Mark VII
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #18
Don't see a number on my '88s, but I've seen that E3 #... Somewhere... But probably not on my cars...

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #19
Again ill say it
Eric you’re good
To bad coolcats wasn’t coolbirds though

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #20
Quote from: EricCoolCats;187271
OK...show us then. ;).

-will do, but it will be this weekend.  i leave for work in the dark, and get home in the dark.  my digi cam works, but the flash doesnt.  spend too much money on cars to buy new camera:D .  but will get some sat....4 sure.
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Recalls

Reply #21
Quote from: quicksilver;187097
the friend my father bought the car from (the original owner from 1988-2001) said that in the earlier 1990's (cant remember the year he said) the car was recalled for a motor problem and  got sent in and had a new motor put in it

If you call a Ford dealer and catch a service writer in a helpful mood  :hick:  they could run your vin # in the system and see if there are any open recalls on it. Remember, programs expire recalls don't.
 Funny you should mention recalls; recently one came in the mail on my '93 Bronco that has 193,000 miles on it. Something about the the brake light switch for the cruise catching fire. After having problems finding a cruise control servo that would work for a decent length of time, I'm somewhat reluctant to 'bring it in'  :flame:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 t-bird: 5.0ho, gt40y, crane 2031, fms 1.7, paxton@5#, aod wide ratio, tci stall, performer rpm upper, 70mm bbk, pro m 60, 42#s, 3.73 7.5" posi, jba shorties, borla, upr x. 13.4 @ 104mph. cbaza, moates, tuned by decipha

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #22
Quote from: t.birdsc;187482
  Funny you should mention recalls; recently one came in the mail on my '93 Bronco that has 193,000 miles on it. Something about the the brake light switch for the cruise catching fire.

You really should check into this, it's quite a big deal, a lot of trucks have been totalled by fire for this.
http://www.floridapersonalinjury-attorney.com/ford_recall.html

http://trucks.about.com/od/carsafety/a/ford_cruise.htm
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #23
Quote from: t.birdsc;187482
programs expire recalls don't.

Explain Please

My 91 F250 4x4 has a issue with Dual tanks, One bleeds through to the other. If I fill both tanks, drive on the forward to half a tank then remove the cap on the rear tank Fuel gushes out all over the place and me.

There is a recall on this…

Make : FORD
Model : F250
Year : 1991
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 01I008000
Mfr's Report Date : JUL 19, 2001
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 1556221
Summary:
THIS IS NOT A SAFETY RECALL IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SAFETY ACT. HOWEVER, IT IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN BY THE AGENCY. VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: 1990-1993 FORD F-SERIES VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH DUAL FUEL TANKS AND 4.9, 5.0,5.8, OR 7.5 LITER GASOLINE FUELED ENGINES. SOME VEHICLES CAN EXPERIENCE A CROSS TANK FUEL FLOW CONDITION DUE TO A DAMAGED CHECK VALVE IN THE FUEL PUMP/SENDER ASSEMBLY. FUEL MAY BE SUPPLIED FROM ONE TANK AND SOME OR ALL OF THE UNUSED FUEL MAY BE RETURNED TO THE OTHER TANK.
Consequence:
SHOULD THIS OCCUR, THE CAPACITY OF THE RECEIVING TANK MAY BE EXCEEDED AND FUEL MAY OVERFLOW FROM THE FILLER CAP.
Remedy:
FORD IS EXTENDING THE WARRANTY FOR POTENTIAL FUEL CROSS-FLOW TO 12 YEARS OF SERVICE OR 150,000 MILES FROM THE VEHICLE'S WARRANTY START DATE, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST. THIS COVER WILL AUTOMATICALLY TRANSFER TO SUBSEQUENT OWNERS AT NO CHARGE. IF A VEHICLE ALREADY HAS MORE THAN 150,000 MILES, THIS OVERAGE WILL LAST UNTIL DECEMBER 31, 2001. IF THE VEHICLE IS EXPERIENCING A FUEL CROSS-FLOW CONDITION, DEALERS WILL REPAIR THE CONDITION FREE OF CHARGE.
Notes:
FORD HAS DECIDED TO CONDUCT AN EXTENDED COVERAGE PROGRAM TO EXTEND THE WARRANTY COVERAGE FOR POTENTIAL FUEL CROSS FLOW PROBLEMS. OWNERS CAN CONTACT FORD AT 1-866-436-7332, CONCERNING THIS PROGRAM.

Are you saying that Ford will honor this even though this says December 31 2001?
:birdsmily:   Objects In Mirror Appear to be Loosing  :birdsmily:

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #24
And a little more ON TOPIC,, according to
http://www.recalls.gov/
there were two recalls on the 88 Thunderbird
Model : THUNDERBIRD
Year : 1988
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 88V033000
Mfr's Report Date : MAR 11, 1988
Component: POWER TRAIN:AXLE
ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 682
Summary: A DESIGN CHANGE TO FACILITATE CHANGEOVER IN REAR AXLE SHAFT S INADVERTENTLY PRODUCED THE POSSIBILITY FOR INTERFERENCE BETWEEN THE  AND DISC BRAKE ROTOR.
Consequence: THE INTERFERENCE COULD PREVENT PROPER SEATING OF THEROTOR. ALSO AN IMPROPERLY SEATED ROTOR COULD IN TIME RESULT IN A REDUCTION INTHE CLAMPING FORCES OF THE WHEEL STUDS, POSSIBLY LEADING TO FRACTURED STUDSAND REAR WHEEL SEPARATION.
Remedy: INSPECTION OF VEHICLES AND WHERE NECESSARY REPLACE REAR AXLE SHAFTS AND REAR BRAKE ROTORS.
Notes:  SYSTEM: AXLE REAR SHAFT /SUSPENSION.VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER CARS.
and
Model : THUNDERBIRD
Year : 1988
Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 96V071000
Mfr's Report Date : APR 25, 1996Component:
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 7900000
Summary: THE IGNITION SWITCH COULD EXPERIENCE AN INTERNAL SHORT CIRCUIT.
Consequence: THIS CONDITION COULD CAUSE OVERHEATING, SMOKE, AND POSSIBLY FIRE IN THE STEERING COLUMN AREA OF THE VEHICLE.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE IGNITION SWITCH.
Notes: SYSTEM: ELECTRICAL; IGNITION SWITCH.
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER AND MULTI-PURPOSE VEHICLES AND LIGHT DUTY TRUCKS.
NOTE: OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME, SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673. ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-800-424-9393.

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #25
Quote from: Jim_Miller;187536
Explain Please

My 91 F250 4x4 has a issue with Dual tanks, One bleeds through to the other. If I fill both tanks, drive on the forward to half a tank then remove the cap on the rear tank Fuel gushes out all over the place and me.

There is a recall on this…

Are you saying that Ford will honor this even though this says December 31 2001?

That is not a true recall, it's a warranty extension (I don't know what Ford calls them, but GM calls them "Customer satisfaction campaigns". A true recall is government mandated and has no expiry (I am still seeing late 70's and early 80's GM's having their backing plates replaced under recall). The NHTSA can only force recalls for safety or emissions reasons, not quality issues, so you'll never see a true recall for something like lousy transmissions or head gaskets.

Another indicator of a true recall is that the manufacturer must repair all affected vehicles whether each particular vehicle has experienced the problem or not. For example, with this dual-tank thing, Ford would have been required to bring in every vehicle covered by the recall and fox whatever causes the cross-flow issue even if the vehicle hasn't experienced it (or, in the case of the ignition switch fires, Ford had to replace ALL switches, not just burned ones). With the warranty extension Ford is only obligated to fix problems as they occur - if your 3.8 blew a head gasket, for example.

A warranty extension has whatever expiry date that the manufacturer decides to put on it. In the case of the warranty extension you quoted - it's good for 12 years or 150k miles from the date the truck was first put into service. Since your 1991 model is well over 12 years old it's no longer eligible.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #26
That sucks, because it does it. I found out the hard way Right after I bought the truck from a friend that had the truck since 95. After refilling the forward tank I was running on, then I decided to top off the rear tank not remembering if there was any fuel in it or not. Fuel came spewing out all down my leg. Peeps at the pumps were looking at me like I was an Oregonian or something. (Oregonians aren’t allowed to pump there own fuel… we Washingtonian’s believe it’s an IQ issue)

Knowing the issue now, I just do like my friend did and always run off the forward tank, and never open the rear until I know it's below 3/4

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #27
Jim, have you checked this out over on FTE?
There's literally thousands of threads about the fuel crossover problem.

Mine doesn't do it..yet...but I'll be scrooged if it does-my back tank leaks at the seam, I lose gas if it get over 1/2 full in it.

ps. FTE is Ford Truck Enthusiasts...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

recall for 1988 tbirds?

Reply #28
Quote from: quicksilver;187097
the friend my father bought the car from (the original owner from 1988-2001) said that in the earlier 1990's (cant remember the year he said) the car was recalled for a motor problem and  got sent in and had a new motor put in it.

also my head light holders ( the frame part) says E7 on it. i thought that was a mustang thing.

and on top of my engine bay, right infront of the windshield, centered in the middle, it sas E3SB. what does that mean?

mine shows E8SB but the 8 looks more like a backwards 3 so it could just be the way that it was stamped.