Skip to main content
Topic: I'm new, heres my cat!! (Read 1880 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm new, heres my cat!!

So i JUST found these forums, thank god.  I'm in need of some part locating for my 83 cat and I LOVE these cars!  anyway, here is a little history and a couple pics of my cougar.

I bought it for $700 and it still had EVERYTHING original, with 199k on the odo. 1983 cougar LS with the 5.0  I even have the Original window sticker for it, she cost $13,000 back in 83!!!  Anyway, I brought it home, put on an MSD 6a box, billet distributor, blaster coil, 8mm wires, NGK plugs, shorty headers, H-pipe and glasspacks. 

i ran that for about 3 months then the motor started ticking pretty bad. SOOOO i ripped out the heart and threw in a motor from a crown vic with 50k on it.

This is the new motor with the EFI on it...THAT was a failure on my part for butchering wiring:(  SOOO i took it off and made her carb'd

Carbd motor

Anyway, thats a little about me, plans for the future include a built 347 stroker and a new paint job!!!!!  Later!

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #1
(Welcome)- "punisher" and nice cougar can't say this enough but here's another 4 eyed cat !!!  :burnout:

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #2
Hell yeah, I LOVE 4 eyes.  Before i bought this i had an 86 mustang, another 4 eyed fox!

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #3
Nice LS, dude. It's got some cool options for '83: 5.0, cornering lamps, illuminated entry.
I dig it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #4
bet you like that motor over the stock cfi 5.0 huh?

Ive got one too and welcome.

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #5
I loved my '83 - it was my first Cougar and a very reliable car for years! Looks like yours has some interesting options - very cool. Glad you found us - lots of good info here.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #6
Welcome aboard

Glad to see another cat walk through here. I saw a spot of rust under the hood. careful or it will look like mine one day.

welcome, what area are you from?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #7
I've located your wiring problem... The upper plentum is on backwards!

lmao Welcome!  You'll find more information here than you ever needed to know! (NICE 4-eye!)

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #8
Welcome and nice cougar and nice to see the upgrades done so far keep working on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #9
Quote from: tc²;187116
I've located your wiring problem... The upper plentum is on backwards!

lmao Welcome! You'll find more information here than you ever needed to know! (NICE 4-eye!)

He did say the engine was from a Crown Vic and I'm fairly certain they had the intake pointing the other direction.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #10
Quote from: SSX;187124
He did say the engine was from a Crown Vic and I'm fairly certain they had the intake pointing the other direction.

THAT is correct god sir.

The HO's faced the other direction.

I'm from Virginia beach VA, and the rust spot under my hood has already been sanded and primed.  no worries there mate!;)

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #11
Nice Kitty. Where in Va Beach are you? I was stationed at Norfolk. Va Beach is one of my favorite cities. I wouldn't mind living there one day.

How does that intake work out for you on the street?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #12
Thats a nice lookin Cat! Good luck. Keep that beast alive. Im diggin the Ricekiller.com sticker, made me literally laugh out loud.

Ive got the top half of a header emblem if you want it. You might have to fix the ring that the spring attaches to, but its here regardless.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #13
Quote from: Ether947;187151
Nice Kitty. Where in Va Beach are you? I was stationed at Norfolk. Va Beach is one of my favorite cities. I wouldn't mind living there one day.

How does that intake work out for you on the street?

Im not really quite sure how it works yet, i really havent run her hard.  I have to get her tuned in right and take it to the track.  But I still live in VA, around the indian river road area I'm in the navy too so ill be there a while!  Are you still in the area?

Quote from: cougrrr302;187201
Thats a nice lookin Cat! Good luck. Keep that beast alive. Im diggin the Ricekiller.com sticker, made me literally laugh out loud.

Ive got the top half of a header emblem if you want it. You might have to fix the ring that the spring attaches to, but its here regardless.

I hvae the same problem with my emblem as well, i am going to fix it down the road, i need a new header panel first, mines cracked.  And ricekiller.com is my home site, Alot of horsepower junkies over there, some with twin turbo vipers.

I'm new, heres my cat!!

Reply #14
Quote from: Punisher;187217
Im not really quite sure how it works yet, i really havent run her hard.  I have to get her tuned in right and take it to the track.  But I still live in VA, around the indian river road area I'm in the navy too so ill be there a while!  Are you still in the area?

Cool. I'm not in the Navy anymore. I was an ET stationed on the Truman. Been almost 8 years though. Man I'm old. lol. What ship are you on?
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver