Skip to main content
Topic: Tail light question (Read 1397 times) previous topic - next topic

Tail light question

Reply #1
I believe the later ones wrap around.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Tail light question

Reply #2
No, they won't seal up properly.  It will bolt on, but the openings in the rear panel are in different locations.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Tail light question

Reply #3
Yep, as Chuck says...there needs to be major hackage of the metal panel to cross-fit the taillights. It can be done but it's messy. Plus there's rewiring that needs done.

Tail light question

Reply #4
I installed 83-84 lights on my 85 Cougar when the right outer plastic lense was stolen.  I had to remove 2 of the studs out of the six or eight if I remember right.  I also had to lengthen the wires for the backup lights in order to get the connectors on the bulbs.

I'm sure similar problems going the other way.  Newer to older vice older to newer in my case.  I didn't have to cut or drill the back panel.

I made it work but ChuckW is right they will not seal properly.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Tail light question

Reply #6
ok... i thought we was talkin bout cougar... not tbird? i think 83-86 tbird tail lights would be the same but cougar on the other hand...  the above said about hacking the sheetmetal is true... can be done ive done it.

Tail light question

Reply #7
Quote from: the_intimidator03;186524
ok... i thought we was talkin bout cougar... not tbird? i think 83-86 tbird tail lights would be the same but cougar on the other hand...  the above said about hacking the sheetmetal is true... can be done ive done it.

No, the same holds true for the Tbirds as well as the Cougars.

The 83-84 and 85-86 tail lights do not interchange w/o modifications to the rear panel.

Tail light question

Reply #8
Chuck w speaks the truth as i found out the hard way with an 86 parts car for my 84 thunderbird project car. they are not the same. i like the back lights by the tag (85-86) the 83-84 has the back up lights in the middle of the tail light section.

Tail light question

Reply #10
wow... i didnt know that... they all looked the same to me lol as u can tell im a cougar nut... not a tbird nut lol

Tail light question

Reply #11
Quote from: the_intimidator03;186662
wow... i didnt know that... they all looked the same to me lol as u can tell im a cougar nut... not a tbird nut lol

It's the same thing on the Cougars....